Should my cover be resting on top of the water line or should it be suspended above the water line? Should it look like Picture A or Picture B?

MAROBSON137

May 22, 2023
Illinois
Should my cover be resting on top of the water line or should it be suspended above the water line? Should it look like Picture A or Picture B? We also have a pillow but trying to figure out of the cover we bought is big enough or if we need to get a bigger one.

Attachments

• Picture B.jpg
    Picture B.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Picture A.jpg
    Picture A.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 36
Should my cover be resting on top of the water line or should it be suspended above the water line? Should it look like Picture A or Picture B? We also have a pillow but trying to figure out of the cover we bought is big enough or if we need to get a bigger one.
You do not want to suspended over the water line ! As rainwater, snow and ice accumulate on the cover it will pull your sidewalls in. A proper cover size should be 4 feet larger than the pool size. This will give you 2 feet overhang to accommodate a pillow in the middle.

You do not want to suspended over the water line ! As rainwater, snow and ice accumulate on the cover it will pull your sidewalls in. A proper cover size should be 4 feet larger than the pool size. This will give you 2 feet overhang to accommodate a pillow in the middle.
Thank you! We thought so but kept seeing photos of pools with the cover tight across, like photo A so we were second-guessing ourselves.

Thank you! We thought so but kept seeing photos of pools with the cover tight across, like photo A so we were second-guessing ourselves.
Just came across this thread-
To clarify:
the cover in picture b is designed to be installed as pictured since it has a mesh drain in the middle.
If that’s the one you have then its fine to do it that way - otherwise (if its just a tarp style) it should rest on the water with the water supporting it.

You never want to suspend the cover.

Snow or water will pull on the sides and cause damage.

With a mesh, water will drain through but snow will not.
This one specifically states to have it pulled taught in the instructions as it is “fitted” to the pool size/shape like one of those fitted tablecloths or bedspreads.
IMG_8212.jpeg
This design is similar to the Eliminatior Extreme cover. They are the only two above ground pool covers that I know of that are designed this way. If heavy ice & snow are a concern this style may not be the best choice.

I noticed the walls on both sides of the above-ground pool were buckling in. Looked closer and it appeared the weight of the snow was putting too much weight on the cover, pulling the walls in a bit.

There have been multiple threads about the walls buckling due to the cover being weighed down and putting too much stress on the walls.
I agree- these cover types should not be used with low water conditions as was the case in the posts you linked. I believe the extreme version sends you a skimmer plug to keep your water level higher so there’s not terribly far to go for support. Although the tan one makes no mention of this.
I would certainly recommend a normal tarp style cover which fully rests on the water for those with regular snow & ice conditions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree- these cover types should not be used with low water conditions as was the case in the posts you linked. I believe the extreme version sends you a skimmer plug to keep your water level higher so there’s not terribly far to go for support. Although the tan one makes no mention of this.
I would certainly recommend a normal tarp style cover which fully rests on the water for those with regular snow & ice conditions.
That is why I never bought one of those covers. I did not like the idea of having it above the surface of the water, and then snow piling up on it.

My in-laws still tell this story. When my wife was a kid, her family had an oval ABG. My father in law got sick of water collecting on the cover. He had this idea - he built a big PVC frame to go inside the pool, that would support the cover like a tent, so that nothing would collect. It worked AWESOME in the fall - leaves and rain just ran right off the "roof". Then it snowed. They woke up to the whole contraption collapsed into the pool.

Luckily (maybe) at that time my father in law was really into SCUBA diving (all his kids used to dive in the pool when they were little). He was able to get out his dry suit and spend the day pulling the cover and mess of PVC pipe out of the pool and then recovering it the "normal" way.

That is why I never bought one of those covers. I did not like the idea of having it above the surface of the water, and then snow piling up on it.

My in-laws still tell this story. When my wife was a kid, her family had an oval ABG. My father in law got sick of water collecting on the cover. He had this idea - he built a big PVC frame to go inside the pool, that would support the cover like a tent, so that nothing would collect. It worked AWESOME in the fall - leaves and rain just ran right off the "roof". Then it snowed. They woke up to the whole contraption collapsed into the pool.

Luckily (maybe) at that time my father in law was really into SCUBA diving (all his kids used to dive in the pool when they were little). He was able to get out his dry suit and spend the day pulling the cover and mess of PVC pipe out of the pool and then recovering it the "normal" way.
This reminds me what happened of my canopy- it collapsed without much snow/ice at all.
We had just been underneath it making snowballs on the table when it went.
These pics were taken 2 hours apart
WP_20150305_003_Original.jpegWP_20150305_004_Original.jpeg

The safest way to cover an AGP is to have the cover rest completely on the water all the way to where the water meets the wall. Then from there the cover goes up parallel to the wall basically separating the two bodies of water but never stressing the walls. You want to have water sitting on top of the cover as if it's the pool water. Come spring you pump it off and refill the pool.

The safest way to cover an AGP is to have the cover rest completely on the water all the way to where the water meets the wall. Then from there the cover goes up parallel to the wall basically separating the two bodies of water but never stressing the walls. You want to have water sitting on top of the cover as if it's the pool water. Come spring you pump it off and refill the pool.
This is why I bought the next size up 34x18 for a 32x16, lots of slack. I had great cover clips (lots of them), ran the wire thru the holes. But I live in a development and not on the great plains.

This reminds me what happened of my canopy- it collapsed without much snow/ice at all.
We had just been underneath it making snowballs on the table when it went.
These pics were taken 2 hours apart
View attachment 540296View attachment 540297
Ouch.

Was it rusted at all. I used to have one like that (actually I have been through two like that) and the various parts started to rust and mine you buckle and then the canopy would begin to fill with rain, which buckled it more, collecting more rain, leading to more buckling, etc. I beefed it up a bit by welding in some random steel stock I had laying around, and then it buckled in a different spot. I was just chasing my tail with it.

I have one of these now - Sojag Sanibel II Gazebo 10 x 10 ft. 500-8162851 | Zoro

I really don't think I paid that much for it though. I have had it for almost 3 years now and it is going strong. It will probably outlast me.

Ouch.

Was it rusted at all. I used to have one like that (actually I have been through two like that) and the various parts started to rust and mine you buckle and then the canopy would begin to fill with rain, which buckled it more, collecting more rain, leading to more buckling, etc. I beefed it up a bit by welding in some random steel stock I had laying around, and then it buckled in a different spot. I was just chasing my tail with it.

I have one of these now - Sojag Sanibel II Gazebo 10 x 10 ft. 500-8162851 | Zoro

I really don't think I paid that much for it though. I have had it for almost 3 years now and it is going strong. It will probably outlast me.
Not rusty at all just cheap thin tubing with crappy welds. It was a Home Depot special.
I bought a different one to replace it with that spring that looked beefier but when I opened it & we were going to put it together my husband said the tiny tack welds were all going to pop in short order so I returned it & he built us our current patio cover out of black iron pipe & stuff we already had laying around. It covers our entire 20x10 patio
IMG_3122_Original.jpeg
IMG_3094_Original.jpeg
I swear, everything I own is made out of pipe lol 😂

I swear, everything I own is made out of pipe lol 😂

Not a thing wrong with that. I'm more of an angle iron / square tube kind of guy. My welding skills are admittedly very poor with straight edges, I don't need to go adding curved surfaces into the mix.

Not a thing wrong with that. I'm more of an angle iron / square tube kind of guy. My welding skills are admittedly very poor with straight edges, I don't need to go adding curved surfaces into the mix.
There’s plenty of angle iron thrown in too!
It’s not going anywhere that’s for sure.

My mailbox is also lovingly crafted out of black iron pipe. My hubby is a problem solver lol 😂
Recently the sheriff visited us about midnight and informed us that someone had hit it. We live on a state highway.
My first question was did they live! I was a bit concerned that it didn’t “breakaway” as defined in the rules for mailboxes even though we buried it at the proper depth.
He said yes,but it was a hard hit! it was a dui & they didn’t find the mailbox. I found it the next day a couple properties down. It was a bit bent & had some road rash but otherwise it was repairable. The concrete was still attached! He had to cut & weld a new piece on it & we were back in business again, still with the ugliest mailbox in town 🤣

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.