Ground Leveling

Jul 8, 2012
First off I'm new to TFP. I thank all of you for your posts of wisdom. I have researched for days and now have a 24' round Sharkline Matrix that is waiting on me to get up. I have begun the process for leveling my yard but have ran into some issues. I have very dense clay soil that does not level easily. I have used my tractor with FEL, tiller, and box scrape and it has been a nightmare to say the least. I started with a low end that was off by approx 16" I'm now down to approximately 4" off. The issue I'm having is that I am concerned about digging any deeper on the high end due to the possibility of a water line being under the area in addition to not wanting to "sink" the high end much more. If I built a retaining wall on the low end and used a 4" layer of crusher run gravel and use a plate compactor would that be sufficient to not risk the pool settling and it collapsing?

I have read on the subject for seemingly hours but wanted to get everyone's take on it for myself. The area that needs the gravel is approximately 6'x24' on the low end. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!!!

So you are saying you did not get Blue Stake (of the equivalent) to come out and mark all the utility lines before you started digging? Not a good idea.
You likely should not be putting a pool there if there are utility lines under it.

I am not smart enough to comment on the possibility of raising the low end. If you do it correctly (such that no possibility of settling exists), it is probably fine.

Unless you have some serious expertise about managing drainage, the retaining wall should be build on the high side, not the low side. This way you do not have to worry about compaction issues on the low side. Leave yourself a little maintenance room on the high side, build a deck etc.

Is the water line you mention for sprinklers or supply side? I would not want a pool sitting on top of a supply line from the well, for maintenance access reasons.

Thanks for the reply. I did get the utility to mark the electrical, however, I am on a well and wasn't familiar with where the line ran. I plan on using either rail road ties or landscaping pavers that have a course sunk into the ground and build up one course from there. That should be enough due to me only having to raise it 4".

You can raise the low side but it has to be done RIGHT, that's alot of weight that needs to be supported properly and safely nad kept from eroding. I don't know what the right process is but there are some pics of people who have done this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.