Ground leveling help

foxbody

Jun 3, 2021
Beverly, MA
I'm on year 3 of *attempting* to level the ground for our 18' pool and I'm ready to throw in the towel and hire a pro. This year is worst than ever. Below is my process I used to attempt to level the ground but it seems the pool legs sink into the crushed stone as the water moves to the lower area and we have shifted to be about 5" higher on one side.

Leveling process:

I borrowed this from several YouTube videos
Dug out all grass in a large, round shape about 2' bigger than our 18' pool
Put down a 2-3" layer of crushed stone
Used a long 2x4 about 10 feet long, staked it into the middle, taped a level onto the end, used rope so I could drag it around the circle without having to bend over too much
After getting as close as possible to perfect, I rolled it with a lawn roller (big plastic barrel with water inside, Amazon purchase)

Each year after this, I have used a rake and a lawn leveling tool to move the crushed stone from the higher area to the lower area.
With the amount of work I've put into this, I'm willing and able to hire a pro. So far none have come out to view the site. Maybe they are busy.

Is it worth trying a different method? Thanks!

*Edit* I've been quoted $1,000 - $1,200 from my local pool store, but that's with the purchase of one of their 20' AGP's for $7,300+ tax. I spent $350 on our pool so I think that's a better deal and I'd prefer to keep ours.

Is it worth trying a different method?
We've seen owners do something similar to what you are saying, while others use the "Bunyip" type water level method. Regardless, compaction is also key. Maybe rent a plate compactor if you haven't done so already?

full

full

full

"Pool legs sinking into the crushed stone" I think this is what concerns me. You should have some sort of pads under the pool legs. It is the pads that need to be level to each other. Use a few inches of stone dust tamped down under each pad. See the picture Texas Splash posted and you can see the pads. I have a "temporary" pool so I did not have the surrounding rails to level with. I used a large level from one pad to the next. Maybe post a picture of what you have as it will give a better idea of what you have/dealing with as I am not fully understanding crushed stone as a base where the pool liner will be sitting upon.

Not sure what type of pool you have but both my AG pools had a patio block under each upright that was on undisturbed soil. I've read here that intex pools require ground contact pressure treated lumber. I know at least one of the installers used a transit for level as well, maybe both did but I forget.

I don't know how expensive it is to rent a transit, maybe a laser level would work. I have found it difficult to get very long dimensional lumber to have a perfectly straight profile, I had at one point a metal very long level that I guess was for tasks like this.

Reactions: lorif1796
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.