Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: is this product a yes, or a no?

1. Back To Top    #1

is this product a yes, or a no?

super cheap at menards. called super shock. here's the info.

available chlorine 15%
    sodium hypochlorite 12.5%
    inert ingredients 87.5%
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: is this product a yes, or a no?

OK to use if your CH is not very high.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

When you say 'super cheap' ...is is cheaper than regular bleach?

4. Back To Top    #4

That is liquid chlorine (12.5%) and fine to use!

What's the price?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by elwood58
    ????

How does CH come into it? It didn't list any Cal-Hypo - only Sodium Hypochlorite (as in Bleach).
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

This is a liquid right? If so it will not add CH as elwood58 mentioned (that is cal-hypo).

Odd that the available chlorine is > than the sodium-hypo ... or maybe I am still ignorant about some of the chemistry
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    This is a liquid right? If so it will not add CH as elwood58 mentioned (that is cal-hypo).

Odd that the available chlorine is > than the sodium-hypo ... or maybe I am still ignorant about some of the chemistry
    My guess - is that this relates to this article that says that "active chlorine" is different from just chlorine in bleach. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percent_active_chlorine
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

This is on sale at Menards for 4 gal - $10.........

9. Back To Top    #9

Just make sure it is not old stock, liquid chlorine and bleach both loose strength over time (sort of like the way a soda goes flat).
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    Quote Originally Posted by elwood58
    ????

How does CH come into it? It didn't list any Cal-Hypo - only Sodium Hypochlorite (as in Bleach).
    My bad. Read calcium not sodium, thinking powder not liquid.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

11. Back To Top    #11

4- 128 oz bottles for $10
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

12. Back To Top    #12

Good price!
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

13. Back To Top    #13

They ran a BOGO sale on the same stuff at the beginning of May. I bought two cases, used them at the beginning of the summer, and had no issue. If I didn't already have a doomsday stockpile in my basement, I would buy more. Even when breaking down to unit price, $2.50/gal of 12.5% is the cheapest non-BOGO price I've seen all summer in the Chicago area.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks everyone! I will go back tomorrow with a skid loader and buy some.

~theresa
    Theresa and/or Gary

15. Back To Top    #15

Be warned, liquid chlorine (12.5%) does not have a long shelf life, so buying for a month or two is okay, but I wouldn't buy much more than that. Also keep it cool and out of the sun. Bleach (6%) has a significantly longer shelf life (3-4 times).

16. Back To Top    #16

I tried stocking up from menards back in may, got a 3 month suppy. Made it ok to first week in july and started having some FC issues. After a lot of testing I figure my remaining 12.5 is done to about 6%. Going to buy no more than i Can use in a month from now on.
    19500 gal, IG, haywood s-200 sand filter & pump, 3/4 horse single speed motor, vinyl liner, tf 100 test kit, installed early 80's, Terre haute,In

17. Back To Top    #17

good to know. more is not always better after all.

~theresa
    Theresa and/or Gary

18. Back To Top    #18

I had a few gallons left of 10% from last year that I used while opening and it appeared to be just as strong.

Currently I have 2 cases of 10% and 4 cases of 12.5% - hopefully it doesn't lose strength.

Stored in the garage.

I bought some of this same "Extreme Shock" last year too, but I can't remember if I considered it 12.5 or 15% since the active ingredient is 12.5%
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]