kawisser

Sep 1, 2022
Indianapolis, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm a first year pool owner. I've been getting my liquid chlorine from Menards. It's super cheap and always very fresh... within days usually. I was afraid this might happen, but my store is done selling this "seasonal" item. My pool is staying open for another 5-6 weeks. I don't want to buy from a pool store - in my experience they are expensive and dated. Are there any other big box stores that sell liquid chlorine further into the fall?

WallMart,

Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid for Swimming Pools, 2-Pack $17.13​

order online, free home delivery.

I always would stock up before summer was over because after Labor Day pools are out & Halloween is in! You may have to find a pool store with some.
We have a local one that does refills

I always would stock up before summer was over because after Labor Day pools are out & Halloween is in! You may have to find a pool store with some.
We have a local one that does refills
So I'm a new pool owner, but I thought you need to buy fresh or if loses its effectiveness? I assume if you stock up then would all become old.

So I'm a new pool owner, but I thought you need to buy fresh or if loses its effectiveness? I assume if you stock up then would all become old.
It does degrade- the higher the % the faster this happens.
that 12.5% isn’t 12.5% by the time you add it to your pool.
I store it in the shade under my deck & it does fine throughout the fall & winter. It’s not a big deal if I need to add a splash extra. I’m only using it in my hot tub after October anyway.
I’d rather have a little lower % than be stuck with no chlorine at all. I use what’s leftover from the winter for opening.

Month old lc is still pretty fresh so long as it’s fresh when you buy it.

Lowe’s or HD - usually in the garden aisle

Pool stores but that won’t be cheap

Walmart, Ace,

Worst case plain bleach from grocery store but make sure it’s scentless and no additives or anti splash agents

Call local mom & pop shops for bulk liquid chlorine - especially any pool store that actually has service routes.
Call around to janitorial & pressure washing suppliers- many sell to the public.
Strongly consider adding a saltwater chlorine generator so you can make your own chlorine for daily chlorination then all you need to worry about is supplementing every now & then.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Call local mom & pop shops for bulk liquid chlorine - especially any pool store that actually has service routes.
Call around to janitorial & pressure washing suppliers- many sell to the public.
Strongly consider adding a saltwater chlorine generator so you can make your own chlorine for daily chlorination then all you need to worry about is supplementing every now & then.
Maybe some day I'll switch to swg, but I like being in control of it all for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.