Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Grounding our pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Grounding our pool

We have just installed a 24 ft round above ground pool sharkline matrix. The pool is already filled with water but we now need to ground the pool. Is it safe to undo a side post with water in the pool?
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    ProSeries 20x48 AG
    8000 gallons
    Proline Sand Filter 55gpm

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Grounding our pool

I assume you mean bonding instead of grounding. Matters not. It should be fine to remove an upright, but you could actually use a self drilling screw to attach a bonding lug to the bottom of the uprights without removing anything. Post a pic of the uprights and we can make sure it's safe to do.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Matrix uprights are resin so you don't want to tap the bonding lug into those.

You can pull off the upright cap at the wall seam and you should be able to get a bonding lug onto one of the upper wall seam bolts (undo nut, apply lug, re-apply nut). Personally, I'd be worried that you wouldn't be able to get the upright seated properly again if you took the whole thing off.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by cramar
    Matrix uprights are resin so you don't want to tap the bonding lug into those.

You can pull off the upright cap at the wall seam and you should be able to get a bonding lug onto one of the upper wall seam bolts (undo nut, apply lug, re-apply nut). Personally, I'd be worried that you wouldn't be able to get the upright seated properly again if you took the whole thing off.
    There was another Matrix user that did exactly what you described, couldn't find it again. I agree with cramar though, try to get at the top bolts under the cap.
    24 Ft Sharkline Matrix , ~15,200 Gallons
    Pentair SD60 w/ 2 speed 1.5 HP Dynamo pump
    Taylor K-2006 --- BBB

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry I forgot that the Matrix uprights were resin.

My pool is bonded to the wall seam bolt. It's pretty easy to do once you get the cap off and see how everything is put together. We weren't required to bond it in four places since it's a solid metal piece.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit