Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help ! i think i put to much bleach in my pool ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Help ! i think i put to much bleach in my pool ?

i put 4 192 oz jugs of bleach in our above ground pool 21'x 48" round , also i didnt check any readings , also did not algacide yet .

what should i do next ?

the temp here in sw ohio is 100 today ..btw

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help ! i think i put to much bleach in my pool ?

768 oz all toll

I was just trying to get the mean green outta there !

3. Back To Top    #3

You may or may not have bleached out your liner. It really depends on the stabilizer level. That much 6% bleach will raise FC to about 36. With a green pool, a lot of that probably got used up fast.

I suggest you start reading in Pool School. The link's up in the upper right on every page here. We don't advocate blindly dumping anything into your pool. You should start with a water test, and then add only what you need, and only as much as you need.

Let me ask you something: If you had some sort of infection and the doctor gave you a week's worth of antibiotics and told you to take 2 a day, would you eat the whole bottle at once?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

obviously don't go in the pool, clean the pool as you would normally the chlorine level will come down to proper shock level and follow everything in pool school as Rich said
    12x21 AG-semi-inground about 7200 gal, Cart filter,1.5 hp pump installed May 2012
    TF-100/BBB

5. Back To Top    #5

rich , i just got a little algae killin happy , i will def read up , I really appreciate the help

should i have used algaecide first ?

what sableizer should i use ?

thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

I live aways from the pool shop , got in a hurry and forgot to bring the water to be tested .

7. Back To Top    #7

You might not need any stabilizer; it may be too high already! Especially if you've been using pucks to chlorinate.

Pool School
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

no pucks , was just trying to get the levels up to shock ... i did put 4 gals of liq, chlor in yesterday .. the pool guy said that was probly gone all ready .

i bought a cheap test kit , it measures cya , fc , ph Ta

9. Back To Top    #9

Can you test the water really quick and post those results? We can give you MUCH better info from there.

10. Back To Top    #10

I will give it a try

11. Back To Top    #11

You have to decide if you are going to take control of you pool and understand what it needs ... not what someone wants to sell you. If you make that decision, here are my recommendations:

1. Don't trust pool store tests (or test strips) ... just stop going there.
    2. Order one of the GOOD recommended test kits (see my signature)
    3. Read Pool School a few times
    4. Post up results with your new kit when it arrives and start the shock PROCESS
    5. Enjoy your pool while saving money.

You should NEVER need to put algaecide in your pool ... or phosphate remover ... or anything besides bleach, muriatic acid or borax, maybe some baking soda, maybe some cyanuric acid. That is it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

PH : 8.4

FC :10

TA :240

CA : 150

i added thre bleach about 3-4 hours ago, it is really hot this evening ,should it have been done @ dusk..?

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by wetone
    no pucks , was just trying to get the levels up to shock ... i did put 4 gals of liq, chlor in yesterday .. the pool guy said that was probly gone all ready .

i bought a cheap test kit , it measures cya , fc , ph Ta
    I mean, seriously, why settle for an inadequate test kit or worse yet unreliable pool store testing when a good kit is easily obtained from Duraleigh? I'm partial to the TF-100, which I've tweaked the kit up nicely so I can proceed in order from top to bottom and do the tests *bam, bam, bam!*

Avoid the algaecide since you don't know for sure you need it, and you can't be assured it isn't going to cause other problems down the road.

Read "Pool School" and get familiar with your pool, your water and how easy and less expensive the BBB method can be. You just have to put forth the effort to understand and master it and most likely every problem you might experience, someone here has already overcome and are happy to share a solution. It really is a LOT easier than listening to the pool store mumbo-jumbo.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

14. Back To Top    #14

For "CA".....do you mean your CYA level? Was it a test with a black dot?

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    You have to decide if you are going to take control of you pool and understand what it needs ... not what someone wants to sell you. If you make that decision, here are my recommendations:

1. Don't trust pool store tests (or test strips) ... just stop going there.
    2. Order one of the GOOD recommended test kits (see my signature)
    3. Read Pool School a few times
    4. Post up results with your new kit when it arrives and start the shock PROCESS
    5. Enjoy your pool while saving money.

You should NEVER need to put algaecide in your pool ... or phosphate remover ... or anything besides bleach, muriatic acid or borax, maybe some baking soda, maybe some cyanuric acid. That is it.
    this is how i want to maintnance our pool , thanks for the advice, My Dear Wife is sick and im doing this for Her, im the only one working and im trying to keep my cost as affordable as possible, I need the most reasonable test kit i can find , that will do whats needded . thanks again.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo

Accucheck...

Cyanuric Acid ..CA

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by wetone
    Quote Originally Posted by Leebo

Aquachek...tester

Cyanuric Acid ..CA

18. Back To Top    #18

We all know the cost of getting NAILED by the pool store. To date, I think I've spent about $140 on pool chemicals on a 25K gallon pool. This system works and the people are here to help you. We'll get you to some clear water!

19. Back To Top    #19

no black dot

20. Back To Top    #20

pretty stoked about the Crystal clear ... cool clear water ..very happy to find this forum !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast