teener629

Oct 25, 2023
Austin, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Brand new 14,000 gallon pool SWG but no salt yet so using tabs in the in-line chlorinator. The pool builder just stopped maintaining it a few days ago and I ordered a taylor kit but it hasn’t arrived so I have the basic pentair kit.
Yesterday chlorine 3ppm
pH 7.8
TA 120
So I added the recommended amount of acid.

Today chlorine 0.3
pH 7.6
TA 130.
I have no idea how I lost all the chlorine in my pool in one day. There’s a chance the inline chlorinater did not have any water in it soaking the tabs since yesterday, but it got messed with before I could verify so it’s just a theory. Does existing chlorine in the water only last one day if it’s not replenished?? Water temp 76. And I was hoping the TA would have dropped with the acid instead of creeping up more.

{so I added the poolmath recommended amount of 7.1% bleach (plain no additives) which is all I have so far, something like 53 oz. and retested a few hours later and chlorine had come up a little, close to 1.}

So now do I wait until tomorrow and retest or just go ahead and add some more bleach tonight? Pool Math is saying 50 more oz. Also wondering why it didn’t just say 100 oz from the start of it if I put my goal was 3ppm.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Add more liquid chlorine.
Can you go to Walmart or Home Depot and purchase 10% LC? That would help in the volume of LC needed vs. 7%
Have you tested for CYA? Did the PB add any or just what is added with the chlorine tabs?
The chlorinator has a dial on it to allow flow through it. Set it to max.
How long is your pump running? The chlorinator can only release chlorine when the pump is running.

Add 5ppm of liquid chlorine daily until your test kit arrives.

If your pool is low on chlorine, waiting to add some is the worst thing you can do.

When is your test kit do to be delivered?
Did you order a K-2006 or K-2006C?
You really need the K-2006C - and a K-1766 (salt test kit).

Yes I can buy more chlorine today.
I did put the dial all the way up to five yesterday but it was already at 4+. The pump was running 24 hours a day until a couple days ago and then it was set to 12 hours 8 AM to 8 PM. And last night I set it to also run 8 PM to 8 AM to keep the chlorine going.

When you say add 5 ppm chlorine do you mean in pool math put that 5 ppm is my goal?

I don’t know my CYA but I believe they added some plus the tabs because they came daily for a week but she never told me my values. She said all my numbers would be bouncing around for the first week and that’s why they come every day.
My K-2006-salt arrives Tuesday!

Well I guess the in-line chlorination plus my bleach yesterday worked bc today looks much better! Just more acid now, I’m trying to lower my TA some so just keep lowering pH down to 7 or 7.2 with acid right and letting it rise?EF1CE6E6-7860-420E-BAE8-CF0D75E3DD39.jpeg

It shows to be raining a lot in Austin today. Does your pool have an overflow line? All of that rainwater will dilute the FC level.
If you are using 7.1% Bleach then adding 1/2gal (64 oz) will raise FC level by 4ppm. If you buy the 10% Bleach at WalMart - the 1/2 gal will raise FC level by 4.8ppm for your 10,500gals (NOTE - your profile says 10,500gals but your original post states 14,000gals - which is it and please correct one or the other as it affects the recommendation above)

So I would add at least a 1/2 gal to raise FC close to or over 5ppm. Test again later this afternoon and also on Monday with your existing kit and add 1/2 gal.
The pH looks like 7.8 so you could add a little of MA as well because with a new pool, the pH will rise

Then on Tuesday, use the new K2006 kit to test all and report back
pH
FC
CC
CH
TA
CYA
Salt
Water Temp

It shows to be raining a lot in Austin today. Does your pool have an overflow line? All of that rainwater will dilute the FC level.
If you are using 7.1% Bleach then adding 1/2gal (64 oz) will raise FC level by 4ppm. If you buy the 10% Bleach at WalMart - the 1/2 gal will raise FC level by 4.8ppm for your 10,500gals (NOTE - your profile says 10,500gals but your original post states 14,000gals - which is it and please correct one or the other as it affects the recommendation above)

So I would add at least a 1/2 gal to raise FC close to or over 5ppm. Test again later this afternoon and also on Monday with your existing kit and add 1/2 gal.
The pH looks like 7.8 so you could add a little of MA as well because with a new pool, the pH will rise

Then on Tuesday, use the new K2006 kit to test all and report back
pH
FC
CC
CH
TA
CYA
Salt
Water Temp
Oops you’re right we went bigger at the last minute. It’s 14,700, I updated it thanks!

Reactions: HermanTX