Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: chlorine/bleach bottle recycle

chlorine/bleach bottle recycle

Do you guys recycle your chlorine/bleach bottles?

i can recycle bleach bottles but over here its cheaper to buy the chlorine bottles from pool store or hardware store.

my recycle place says no chlorine bottles
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

Re: chlorine/bleach bottle recycle

I buy the refillable ones from my local pool store.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

We have curbside recycling and they have always taken mine.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeMac
    We have curbside recycling and they have always taken mine.
    bleach bottles or the chlorine bottles? obvious you leave the caps off?
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

[/quote] bleach bottles or the chlorine bottles? [/quote]

They are the same thing....... Why would they take one and not the other? I am confused
    16X24 Oval Doughboy
    11,000 Gallons~
    .75 HP Pump
    Sand Filter

Quote Originally Posted by fritz614
    Why would they take one and not the other?
    Because bleach and pool chlorine are COMPLETELY different ... as anyone who takes the RTD/PSC* training knows.

*Recycling Truck Driver / Pool Store Clerk
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Why?...because some people leave up a couple ounces of liquid in a bottle without rinsing... This is a hazard for the guy that has to sort it.

I've never had a problem recycling bleach, or any other household chemical bottles.
    I always rinse thoroughly...and bleach rinses very clean.
    How clean? Most of my empties get their tops cut off after rinsing and are used as containers for plants and even live fish!

The only problem I have is they now will not take empty oil bottles...and I do oil changes on 3 cars myself...

I just toss them with the rest of the recycle. Of course I always rinse the bottle with a little pool water to get every last drop out
    12k gal gunite, Sunstone Plaster, Pentair IntelliFloŽ VS+SVRS Variable Speed Pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Pentair CCP520 cart filter

I also dip mine in the pool to rinse it out and get the last drops.......lol

Quote Originally Posted by kj5kb
    The only problem I have is they now will not take empty oil bottles...and I do oil changes on 3 cars myself...
    Use the oil bottles to take the used oil back for recycling.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Good idea...in theory
    Not to derail the thread...but...it's WAY easier to drain all the used oil into a 5 gallon container for bulk recycling. And the local places that recycle used oil make you take back your containers anyway..

ON Topic...kinda...

The household bleach I buy has plastic sleeves for labels...I cut those off and reuse the rinsed bottles as containers or recycle 'em

Havent seen liquid pool chlorine around here, (Cleveland OH) but trash co (Republic) hasn't said it's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Good idea...in theory
    Not to derail the thread...but...it's WAY easier to drain all the used oil into a 5 gallon container for bulk recycling. And the local places that recycle used oil make you take back your containers anyway..

ON Topic...kinda...

The household bleach I buy has plastic sleeves for labels...I cut those off and reuse the rinsed bottles as containers or recycle 'em

Havent seen liquid pool chlorine around here, (Cleveland OH) but trash co (Republic) hasn't said it's a problem.
    Underlined is not universally true. This depends on your local recycling center. My town ONLY accepts oil in containers that they keep. My county accepts oil either way and they will keep original containers. I have to ask to get my big one back when I use it or they'll keep that. Since the town is open M-F and the county only once a month on the first Saturday, I do all my oil in the original containers. I still have to go to the county for coolant, as the town doesn't do that.

My county says not to recycle bleach, but I rinse well and cut off the label sleeve and they always take them.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.