Cleaning an SWG cell

May 17, 2012
Hello all,

This is my first year owning a pool. Thanks to all your help I now have crystal clear water and have gotten familiar with all the equipment. One thing I wanted to do was inspect my salt cell. Given the overall neglect around the house/property, I was convinced the cell had never been cleaned. The pool is about 8 years old. However upon removal of the cell, at least to my eyes, it appeared clean, with no real evidence of scale. Should I have cleaned it anyway? Will scale be completely noticeable? Do I wait for the warning light on the Aquarite before cleaning? Is the warning light just a reminder to inspect the cell, or does it actually detect a problem? The SWG appears to be functioning normally as my FC is maintained currently around 3 ppm.

Thanks!

If you did not see any scale, there is no real need to do an acid cleaning. The scale should be noticeable on metal blades as a white build up if there is any

The inspect cell will come on about every 6 months IIRC to remind you to look at it ... this does not mean there is actually a problem.

I would be very surprised if the cell was 8 years old ... they seem to have a typical lifespan of 3-5 years before the cell goes bad and needs replaced.

Around here where the fill water is so calcium heavy such that when my daughter wakes up in the middle of the night she doesn't ask for a glass of water but instead asks for a glass of "chalk juice" the scale on the platinium plates is readily apparent.

You can do an acid-clean if you really want to, but if there's no apparent scale and your FC readings are reasonable, it sounds like you're in the clear.

Enjoy it!

Thanks for the input. It's quite possible the cell isn't as old as the pool, but I failed to mention that I also have a central water softening system at home, which is the source for my pool, so I gather this is aiding in prolonging the life of the cell. I think I will put off the acid-clean then.

Thanks, and I love this site!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.