Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump on/off when adding bleach

1. Back To Top    #1
    Johnson City, TN

pump on/off when adding bleach

This may not be deep enough for the deep end, but will the bleach distribute sufficiently enough by diffusion or should the pump be running when adding bleach?
    ~18,000 gal (16x32)
    Hayward sand filter
    Circupool RJ45 SWG
    Water Ace pump (age and power unknown; all I know is it is not a Whisperflow and draws about 1.5kW)

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: pump on/off when adding bleach

Pump running. Delve into how the Liquidator operates and you'll learn why.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    DFW, Texas

Definitely pump on. With any chemical (In my case mostly bleach and MA) I also go through the extra step of diluting in a 5 gallon bucket of water before adding to the pool to avoid a concentrated slug in any one spot. If I need to add both, I do them in separate bucket loads.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

If you've got multiple returns in the pool, then adding the chemical slowly over a return flow in the deep end works really well since it has a lot of volume of water in which to dilute quickly, it has floor drains and/or skimmer to get back to the pump, and it then gets distributed to other areas of the pool via returns. If the chemical is relatively innocuous such as baking soda, then adding it to the skimmer to have it come out the returns also works well, but you definitely don't want to do that with acid (with chlorinating liquid or bleach I personally avoid that except on occasion, but we haven't seen reports of it being a problem).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"