jtrhodes81

May 13, 2022
Philly PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Guess this is a bit of a science experiment. I have a 19,600 gallon pool that I want to heat by using it as a location to dump heat from my house. I will be using a 4 ton air to water heat pump to extract heat from my house and put it in my pool instead of the outside air. (Raypak Crosswind 50-I pool heat pump)

I will end up with 215' of 1.5" PVC pipe from skimmer basket to main pump to sand filter to in the house to booster pump to heat pump and then back to return jet. The elevation from surface of the pool to my basement is about 10 ft.

Currently I have a Game, 3/4 HP, 37 GPM, 22 ft head pump. I was going to try leaving it as the main pump with the booster pump off when the heat pump isn't running. I am sure the actual GPM will be low in this configuration but if it can move enough gallons per day to keep the filtering working I am good.

I am planning to run the heat pump based on maintaining the pool at a certain temperature. My HVAC setup will distribute the cold air through my house.

When the heat pump turns on it will trigger a booster pump that will need to raise the gpm to 22-30. I will keep people updated on how it works. I am doing the install 100% myself. (TTI Fab makes one that will work down to 8 gpm, which could allow me to have no booster pump.)

I am unsure of what GPM the main pump would make in this configuration and how to size a booster pump to get that 22-30 gpm when the heat pump is running. I might try a 2nd 3/4 HP pump? I think this will be a fun experiment.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are DIY a system like Hotspot FPH.