NO FREE CHLORINE

Broke down the numbers for cost on the chlorine.....

10% Liquid is $10 for 4 gallons 10/100*4*128/10=5.12 ounces chlorine/dollar
6% Liquid is $2.98 for 1.42 gallons 6/100*1.42*128/2.98= 3.65 ounces chlorine/dollar

If my math is right.....Ace wins for best deal!

What level are you trying to get to? Yes, it is technically possible to shock with 150 CYA, but you'll waste a TON of bleach. Probably more than you'll spend draining and refilling. Also, I think your CYA is far higher than 150. If it's 1/2 below the 100 mark, you're at 200+. I don't mean to beat up on you, but this is the wrong way to approach the problem.

A truck load of water is $250.00. I'd need at least 2-3 truck loads. I've already spent 150 on 15 cases of 10% chlorine how much more chlorine are we thinking?
Just did the test with diluted water cya 200

Well I think I'll bite the bullet and do a partial drain. Do you think it would be ok to drain 2 feet fill, test cya, perhaps drain 2 feet again, repeat test. I don't want to drain all at once because everyone tells me liner issues , pool structure problems etc- could happen-anyone have problems or am I worrying for nothing?

Kjohnson said:
Well I think I'll bite the bullet and do a partial drain. Do you think it would be ok to drain 2 feet fill, test cya, perhaps drain 2 feet again, repeat test. I don't want to drain all at once because everyone tells me liner issues , pool structure problems etc- could happen-anyone have problems or am I worrying for nothing?
Exactly. Doing the 2 foot drain /refill should not be a problem. The only thing I suggest is to forget testing the CYA until you have done 2 or 3 partial drains/refills. Take it slow and easy on that well.

Do you know if you have metals in your well water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just called my pool co-the said not to drain more then 8-12"! I have to have water trucked in- 2-3 loads-250.00 each.
Just to be sure-it will cost me more to keep up with chlorine-even though I;ve already bought 180 worth- then trucking in water. I just have to get through this summer.

How many gallons per load are they sending?? Around here I can get a 3000 gallon truck of water for $80. Call around as that price seems high to me.....but areas differ. To put it bluntly, your pool company are idiots. Each year we often drain about 2feet of water at closing time, and over the winter even more goes somewhere. Once again, while areas may differ. You WILL end up spending more in chemicals maintaining the pool the way they recommend...as opposed to starting over fresh.

Water must be liquid gold here, because we've always paid 250 for a load and that was just to top the pool off after opening. We went cheaper and thats when something funky was introduced to my water. Anyway, my water guys not answering, hopefully he'll call soon, as my water is looking worse by the day. :(
When I'm doing the "water dance" what cya should I be shooting for-so I can say "enough draining and replacing" and start with my shocking?

You could put a very large piece of plastic over the pool and fill on top while draining underneath. The water level stays fairly consistent so you have no liner worries. When you have drained the amount you want, pull out the plastic to allow the new water to mix with the old.

Kjohnson said:
Water must be liquid gold here, because we've always paid 250 for a load and that was just to top the pool off after opening. We went cheaper and thats when something funky was introduced to my water. Anyway, my water guys not answering, hopefully he'll call soon, as my water is looking worse by the day. :(
When I'm doing the "water dance" what cya should I be shooting for-so I can say "enough draining and replacing" and start with my shocking?
Of course, the ideal CYA level would be about 50ish, but with the price of that liquid gold and having to do the water dance ....... IMHO, 90 CYA would be the outside limit.

Example, with 90CYA, it would take about 10 gallons of 6% bleach to raise your FC from zero to shock level of 23. How much chlorine it would take to maintain shock level just depends on the organic load.

Once we find out the gallon size of the truck load, we can help do some figuring. :wink:

Don't get discouraged, it will all work out.

Still can't get a hold of my water guy-probably gone for the holiday weekend- :(
I bought a bunch of 10% hth chlorinator-please tell me that's the right stuff-I'd hate to add something to my new water that's going to give me a cya problems again (I bought 15 cases!)

Is it from Walmart.....a 2 pack for about $6.47?? If it says "sodium hypochlorite" you're fine. I'm 90% sure that's the same stuff I use too.

Melt In The Sun said:
that won't add any more CYA, but it's more expensive than buying regular bleach.

10% Liquid is $6.47 for 2 gallons 10/100*2*128/6.47= 3.98 ounces chlorine/dollar
6% Liquid is $2.98ish for 1.42 gallons 6/100*1.42*128/2.98= 3.65 ounces chlorine/dollar

This is using the price from the local Wal-Mart using Sams Choice 182oz Bleach and the 2 pack of HTH Liquid Chlorine. Turns out this year....at least by me....10% is cheaper.

It's frpm Ace Hardware-memorial day sale- 4 pk for $10.00

Also, got a hold of my water guy, a tank full is 5800gals. ($265.00!!) I'm planning on draining and filling 3x- do you think that will lower my cya enough?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.