Spider gasket?

Jun 2, 2008
Marana, AZ
It seemed like vacuuming wasn't doing as much good as it should. I did the "sock test" over the inlet this morning and am getting some junk out. We have super fine dust out here in the desert, but I think some particles are a little larger than should go through the filter.Also I pumped about a foot and a half of water out of the pool one day when the valve was on "filter"; water was going out of the backwash hose. Since then, after backwashing, I look at the backwash hose and sometimes have had to "jiggle" the valve handle.
I had gotten a hayward sand filter from my next door neighbor, it's about 18 yrs old. We replaced the sand when getting it; the laterals looked good. The upright pipe had a piece broken off, but it was all the way at the top where the top piece covers it so can't think that anything could bypass the filter that way. So between the stuff getting through and the water wanting to go out the wrong port, I'm thinking I might have a spider gasket going. Is that what this sounds like? I don't know the model of my filter, so how can I know what gasket to get? I absolutely love the tank; it's such a heavy, durable, well built tank, so wouldn't want to get a new filter unless I have to. Rather just get whatever new "stuff" for it I need to.

It sounds like a gasket issue. There is also a spring and couple of O-rings in the multiport that can cause issues, but you get to all of them when you go after the spider gasket. If you can't identify it, take the whole valve to a pool store to find a match.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.