First year that is has salt level low

I installed the SWG in 2004. When I took my water sample to Leslie's they said that with a salt system the free chlorine would be zero. I thought that to be odd. I clean the SWG unit frequently (I take excellent care of the pool and pool equipment). I have had no real problems with the pool, water, corrosion, etc since I built the pool in April 2004. Thanks for your feedback.

Generally we see salt cells having a life of 3-5 years. You apparently got a good one if it has lasted 8 :shock:

Is the system saying low salt? Have you measured the salt level independently? If you confirm that the SWG is measuring significantly lower than your test, that is a typical sign of a failing cell. Many pool stores can test the cell for you.

FC should not be zero ... especially if you take the water directly from a return.

Posted with Tapatalk 2

Leslies was completely wrong about that!! The FC should never be zero or even close. However, they are good for something. They can test the cell for you. Eight years is a long time for a cell to last.

Go ahead and post a full set of test results you have from Leslies.

Went to Leslie's yesterday, the SWG is good, passed the test. They last longer here in New England probably because we have a shorter pool season (and my excellent maintenance practices...). Here are the water results:
Free Chlorine .5
Total Chlorine .5
Salt 2300 (the unit read out as 2300 as well)
Calcium Hardness 220
Cyanuric Acid 20
Total Alkalinity 50
pH 8.0
Phosphates 200

Yesterday I added 80 lbs of salt (18,500 gal pool size) and it brought the salt to 3000. SWG seems to be working OK.
Also added +-10 lbs of alkaline up

Any other comments about things I should do? Water is still not quite clear, tint of green.

Thanks to all for assistance.

Well, glad you just needed some salt.

Your FC is still too low.

You need to get your pH down some and not let it go over 7.8. Also note that the SWG will tend to make the pH rise (although with your low TA, that may help keep it lower too).

You also should have your CYA up around 70ppm with SWG when you are in maintain mode.
BUT ....
since you are seeing green. You should probably go through the shock process with liquid chlorine BEFORE you raise your CYA ... (maybe even just turn the SWG off until you are cleared up). Start reading this:Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis even though you may not have a full swamp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.