Salt cell trouble with Hayward aqua rite system

Willmd1988

May 28, 2022
Mississippi
I replace my Hayward aquarite salt cell with a generic simple cell at the end of last year. All worked fine for the final month of swimming. Trying to get things back up running now and am having trouble with salt cell generating chlorine. Had low flow light and low salt light on so cleaned filters as well as cell and low Flow light went off but low salt stayed on. Tested salt with Taylor kit and Brough salt level up to 3000 ppm. Salt level on screen is showing 1600. When I push switch from auto - off - back to auto and press button 5 times I see -2100 and it goes down from there so am unable to recalibrate to correct level. If I do the same thing a second time it shows - 400. If done a third time I see -2100 again. This back and forth between 2100 and 400 happens every time I try to calibrate. What would most likely problem be? Cell already failed?

Welcome to TFP.

Likely a cell problem but post a full set of diagnostic information.

Report all diagnostic readings when you..
  • Move the switch from auto to off and check all of the readings.
  • Move the switch back to auto and recheck the readings.
  • Move the switch to off for a minute and then back to auto and recheck the readings.
Pressing the diagnostic button sequentially will display:
  • Default salt display
  • Pool temp
  • Cell Voltage - When not generating, the voltage is about 30 to 32 volts dc. When generating, the voltage drops about 1 volt per amp of current.
  • Cell current
  • Desired output (% of the knob)
  • Instant salinity
  • Product name
  • Software revision (r.XX)
  • Cell type

If the cell is under warranty make a warranty claim.