Looking at used AquaPure PLC 1400 system - need advice...

Feb 28, 2009
College Station, Texas USA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a friend whose got a used, 1-2 year old, AquaPure PLC1400 with an APure 1400 control panel for sale. He currently has a 35K gal in-ground plaster pool and he is replacing the AquaPure with a normal puck chlorinator. He says he isn't happy with how the AquaPure system is working, but I cannot attest to how diligent he might be with managing this SWG system. It is also possible that the SWG system simply isn't working for whatever reason.

I currently have a 9,000 gal pool managed with the BBB system. I am perfectly fine managing it this way, except for the daily chlorine maintenance during Spring/Summer, which I do with either bleach or unstabilized chlorine granules - tedious more than anything. Where I live is HOT and sunny from April to September, and during this time of year, chlorine level maintenance is issue #1.

I would not consider a SWG conversion unless the price is right. I suppose it would need to be cheap enough for me to try it out. I just don't know anything about this brand and unit, and I don't know what to look for to ensure it is functioning correctly, and what I should consider for a price, etc.

One thing I definitely want to avoid is installing the SWG, adding salt to my pool, and only then finding out the whole thing is just failing.

Any help here would be GREATLY appreciated.

Re: Looking at used AquaPure PLC 1400 system - need advice..

The units themselves are good units, but I wouldn't buy it unless I could inspect it while in operation and ensure it's generating chlorine. At 1 to 2 years old it should be in good shape, and should last another 2 to 3 years (or more) before requiring a new cell.

Re: Looking at used AquaPure PLC 1400 system - need advice..

Is the cell the old style, 2 ports, or is it the newer cell that has 3 ports? If it is the old cell, I wouldn't bother with it as there were many things that caused problems with that model. I have the newer cell myself and have used it for 16 months now. I had to have the sensor replaced 2 months ago under warranty, but other than that the system has been flawless.

The tech said he was replacing a "good amount" of sensors lately and there is a new design on the sensor. It comes with a chip that was added to the cable and now the unit needs to run for about 4 minutes before it starts making chlorine.

If you can get it for $300 or less and he guarantees it will work, then I say it would be a good deal for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.