Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: adding chlorine off season

1. Back To Top    #1

Galveston, Tx

adding chlorine off season

After September my pool is only used when I heat it for a few days a couple of times during the winer. My question is, do I need to keep the chlorine levels the same during these prolonged periods of not using the pool.
    23 K Gal
    2 Hp Pentair pump
    Filter: DE Nautilis FNS 60

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: adding chlorine off season

Yes you do, in order to prevent algae from growing. When the water temp gets colder, the chlorine usage should drop considerably if the pool is covered or if the sun is not hitting the pool for as long. While colder temperatures slow down algae growth rates, they also slow down chlorine kill rates so you still need to maintain roughly the same chlorine level if you want to ensure there is no algae growth (technically it might be less, but it's easier and safer just to keep it the same).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"