Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wood Deck Treatment

1. Back To Top    #1

Wood Deck Treatment

Does anyone here have a wood deck around their pool? If so, what do you use to treat it with & how do you apply it?
    I have used Thompson's but just not satisfied with the color & the duration that it lasts.

Gdog
    28' round 23k gallon AGP Vinyl Liner
    1.5 hp pump,Sand Filter,Polaris 65 8 gallon Liquidator

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Gdog,

If I had to guess, i'd say you get a lot of sun on that deck. Wood, water and sunshine don't mix well.

I'm not sure if there's anything much better than Thompson's but I do know that the more water and Sun your wood is exposed to, the less life you can expect. I've had wood decking for 20 years on a covered porch (no sun, no water) and it still looks good. Exposed completely to the elements, you'll seldom get more than a few years unless you treat it constantly.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

hi Gdog
    I have had my decking for about 32 years. I went through the trouble of re-staining every five years with good quality stain and sealer. I did this about three times. This wasn't the answer. As duraleigh pointed out I finally went to using a clear stain every year and this works. I use the cheapest I can find but I do it every summer. It is not around my pool but I have about 2000 sq feet. Doing it every year is a PIA but you do what you have to.
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

4. Back To Top    #4

Wood Deck Treatment

Thanx Guys,
    Your observations are correct. My deck is wide open in the sun & lots of kiddies swimming getting water everywhere plus the rain. Is it ok to use a spray gun with an air compressor to apply stain or sealer? My deck is very large & I would rather do this quickly to get it over and done with.

Gdog
    28' round 23k gallon AGP Vinyl Liner
    1.5 hp pump,Sand Filter,Polaris 65 8 gallon Liquidator

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Gdog,

I would suggest a roller with a long handle rather than attempting to spray. Sealer sorta' needs to be "worked in".

One last thought....that synthetic stuff holds up for years.....might be an upgrade option some day.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6
    I hate to post for another member, but Pooladdict has an amazing cedar deck around his pool that he has posted about regarding staining/sealing. He may be someone to ask or search his posts for some insight.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits