Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Sand for my Sand Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

New Sand for my Sand Filter

Sorry if there is already a thread on this. Going to need new sand this fall when I close up. What do I need to know before I dive into this? Any easy way to do this? I will appreciate any lessons learned. Thanks.
    Trenton, IL (St. Louis Area)
    TF-100 test kit, 18,000 gallon, 18x33 oval Johnny Weismuller, AG, Jacuzzi Lazer sand filter, AquaTrol SWG, 1.5 HP Pentair pump that runs constantly.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Sand for my Sand Filter

Why do you think you need new sand?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

The current sand has been in there for 6+ years and my pressure is running a little high (29 psi). Maybe it just needs a good cleaning.
    TF-100 test kit, 18,000 gallon, 18x33 oval Johnny Weismuller, AG, Jacuzzi Lazer sand filter, AquaTrol SWG, 1.5 HP Pentair pump that runs constantly.

4. Back To Top    #4

Not much evidence for sand needing replacing. Take a look at this post by teapot: http://www.troublefreepool.com/sand-...9.html#p247326. If anything, maybe you sand is channeled, you could try this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-sa...26.html#p60821
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

My first thought is you need to backwash. If that doesn't get your pressure below 20psi, your gauge may be faulty. Do you recall what your normal psi has been over the years?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't think sand ever wears out it gets dirty but nothing a good cleaning will not take care of or maybe it is channeled i would take it apart and give it a good cleaning ..and as Dave pointed out could be a bad gauge they are cheap.
    Steve Frakes
    15' X 48'' Intex Metal Frame
    Intex Sand Filter 16'' 2650 GPH
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    BBB and Borated

7. Back To Top    #7

I have had to add a lot of stabilizer through the skimmer this summer so maybe all it needs is a good cleaning. I will try the hose in the sand and see what floats out. If that does not work I will try the acid cleaner since I had a lot of scale fall off my SWG when I cleaned it last week (see photos on my other post). I was wondering how sand could "go bad" but I'm sure the pool store will sell you new sand at a "reasonable" rate.