Apr 25, 2024
Indianapolis, Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello folks,

I have been reading around and it seems that here at TFP, the belief is that there is not a need to replace filter sand every 3-5 years as other places would suggest. The argument makes sense to me, but some of the links that I have seen on old posts seem to be dead ends or resources have moved. I was looking for some guidance on how to clean the sand that I have thoroughly.

For context, I have bought a new filter (I know this is dumb, but I screwed up the drain cap threads on my old one...) I was planning to buy new sand, as it has been I think 4 years since I did that last, but then have been reading here and think I will just move it from old filter to new but want to clean it as best I can while doing this. Also, it did feel last year like when I would vacuum that the filter would not catch everything that it should.

Thanks!

Here ya' go

Hello folks,

I have been reading around and it seems that here at TFP, the belief is that there is not a need to replace filter sand every 3-5 years as other places would suggest. The argument makes sense to me, but some of the links that I have seen on old posts seem to be dead ends or resources have moved. I was looking for some guidance on how to clean the sand that I have thoroughly.

For context, I have bought a new filter (I know this is dumb, but I screwed up the drain cap threads on my old one...) I was planning to buy new sand, as it has been I think 4 years since I did that last, but then have been reading here and think I will just move it from old filter to new but want to clean it as best I can while doing this. Also, it did feel last year like when I would vacuum that the filter would not catch everything that it should.

Thanks!
If you bought a new filter, put in new sand. That way you know that you have the correct amount and that all is new. Many times when a sand filter is passing debris through it is because there is not enough sand in the tank. Some sand is lost regularly to the backwash and at the end of 5 years, on average, 50# needs to be added back to most sizes. The only thing good as new is new.