New Pool Owner - Questions about my setup/moving equipment

Jul 18, 2011
El Dorado Hills, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
New to the site so please be kind :-D This is the first time I've owned a pool so I am learning as I go, and I have some questions about my equipment.

On the first picture here, I have a couple of questions:

1. I have 3 return lines. Only one line has a shut-off valve. There is no other way to shut-off the other two return lines. Is this a problem? I thought I needed to shutoff the returns when I'm backwashing or doing other work to the filter?

2. One of my return lines is some flexible tubing and you can see by the red arrows that over time it has been pushed above-ground, I am guessing by tree roots. Do I need to do anything to this if it's not currently leaking? I would like to fix it because we plan to install a sprinkler system and sod in this area, but I don't know what I'm getting myself into so I haven't taken a shovel to it yet.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I would also like to know if it is possible to just route all the plumbing about 20 feet further away from the pool so I can get the equipment away from the patio? Am I running into problems with the distance, or should that be ok? Luckily the area between where the equipment is and where I would like it is under an unused planting bed and thus shouldn't be too hard to dig into.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for all the help/advice/thoughts!

Re: New Pool Owner - Questions about my setup/moving equipme

1) SInce it's an inground pool, shutoffs aren't necessarily required. It's nice to have them but nothing's going to leak if you open the lines.

2) That's possibly a pressure cleaner line for a non-booster pressure side cleaner. Is it the one with the shutoff valve?
It needs to be fixed and the first thing to do is dig around the looped part and inspect it.

3) It's definitely possible to reroute the plumbing to another location. All it takes is some pipe stuff and some digging. The distance doesn't look like an issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.