Question about opening new contruction pool

Jul 1, 2011
West Texas
We are almost done with our pool. My amazing husband has been working for months building our pool and has done everything on his own in the evenings and on the weekends. He's never built a pool before but is very smart and really handy :) It looks amazing. The liner is in and the water is now filling the pool! Our deal was...he builds it and I maintain it.

This is our very first pool and I have been reading this website non-stop for a week. I feel like I have a good understanding of pool chemistry and what to do. I have my test kit (leslie K-2006), my salt, my stabilizer, and my muriatic acid ready to go. I have tested my tap water so I know what I'm starting with and now feel comfortble with the test kit. I have used the pool calculator and have double checked all the calculations. I'm just waiting on the water. My children are standing around the pool chanting, "fill, fill, fill" :-D

So here are my questions....
1. Do I wait for the pool to be completely full before adding my cocktail of stuff?
2. Is there any special order I should add the stuff?
3. When can my kids swim?!
4. Should I add bleach upon initial set up to give the SWG a chance to work? If so, how much bleach?

Welcome to TFP!

1) Yes wait until the pool is full and the pump is running.
2) Usually it isn't crucial. If TA is way low do that first. Then get PH roughly into range. Then chlorine. Then CYA. Everything else can wait until tomorrow.
3) If you can get PH between 7.2 and 7.8 and FC around 1 or 2 and the water is clear then swimming is fine.
4) You will need to add chlorine manually for a couple of days, especially on the first day. On the first day add 2 ppm of chlorine after sunset. Don't turn on the SWG until 24 hours after you add salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.