New owner, new pool! Pump question

MAROBSON137

May 22, 2023
Illinois
Hello everyone! I am new here and have been reading the site, we purchased our TF-100 test kit, and I feel like I've already learned a lot but have a lot more to learn, I am sure of that.

Our installation was on Friday. It's a semi-inground pool with a vinyl liner. We finally got it filled this morning and turned on the pump. We have the Frog System (we did not purchase this separately, it came with the package apparently. I have tested the water and the only surprise was super high alkalinity (330). Our pH was pretty good at 7.5. I am continually testing the FC to get it into range, as well as the CYA (both were initially at 0).

My question is, how long should I run the pump in the next 24 hours, knowing that the Frog System is adding chlorine as the pump runs?

Any recommendations are welcome! Our city permit inspection is on Tuesday and we are hoping to jump in as soon as work is over that day!

Take the mineral cartridge out of the frog system if you have one. It add metals...no bueno for el poolo.

Which frog system do you have and how are you chlorinating with the frog system? Pucks? Maybe take a picture of the frog system including label and the products that are in it...mineral and chlorine. Thanks.

Test your fill water for TA and report that.

Reactions: cdadams1223
Take the mineral cartridge out of the frog system if you have one. It add metals...no bueno for el poolo.

Which frog system do you have and how are you chlorinating with the frog system? Pucks? Maybe take a picture of the frog system including label and the products that are in it...mineral and chlorine. Thanks.

Test your fill water for TA and report that.
Haha I feel dumb on the mineral pak, makes complete sense! Okay, I've pulled that out. I tested the fill water and it is at 370 TA (wow, we need a water softener for our house I guess!) Attached are photos of the mineral pak and chlorine pack (with the tablets inside)

You may not be testing properly with the TA reagent. New TA reagent has a static for the first 10 tests and therefore needs an extra step when testing. Fill vial to 25ml line....now the last of the three droppers is the one that needs the extra attention. As with all reagents it needs to be perfectly inverted when the droplets fall off otherwise the size of the droplets aren't all the same. So for the 3rd TA reagent besides what I wrote above you also need to wipe the tip of the dropper with a damp paper towel between every drop which means turn the bottle right side up wipe and go it again. Let the droplet fall off by itself. You may have had many small drops bringing you to this higher TA count.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
You may not be testing properly with the TA reagent. New TA reagent has a static for the first 10 tests and therefore needs an extra step when testing. Fill vial to 25ml line....now the last of the three droppers is the one that needs the extra attention. As with all reagents it needs to be perfectly inverted when the droplets fall off otherwise the size of the droplets aren't all the same. So for the 3rd TA reagent besides what I wrote above you also need to wipe the tip of the dropper with a damp paper towel between every drop which means turn the bottle right side up wipe and go it again. Let the droplet fall off by itself. You may have had many small drops bringing you to this higher TA count.
Thanks, I will try it one more time here in just a bit. I was wiping in between but I am wondering if there may have been small drops.

Great, don't use the mineral pack. The chlorine pack is trichlor. It has CYA. As you use it you will add CYA. At some point, if you continue to use it your CYA will be high enough that you will need to replace water to reduce CYA.

If you use this, you need to follow this chart...Link-->FC/CYA Levels

I would recommend that you switch to liquid chlorine when your CYA gets to 40-50. Or get a salt water chlorine generator.

Great, don't use the mineral pack. The chlorine pack is trichlor. It has CYA. As you use it you will add CYA. At some point, if you continue to use it your CYA will be high enough that you will need to replace water to reduce CYA.

If you use this, you need to follow this chart...Link-->FC/CYA Levels

I would recommend that you switch to liquid chlorine when your CYA gets to 40-50. Or get a salt water chlorine generator.
Thank you- will do! I'll probably end up removing this Frog system altogether

Reactions: PoolStored
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.