Hayward is introducing a variable speed pool pump

Titanium

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2007
SF Bay Area
I see that Ikeric and Pentair IntelliFlo now have a little competition in the variable speed pool pump arena now. Hayward now shows a variable speed motor panel feeding a three-phase motor at their website. They are calling it the "TriStar Energy Solution". They have a brochure and instruction manual on the website, but nobody on the web seems to have it available yet or is showing any costs for the system so far.

http://www.haywardnet.com/pdfs/TriStarE ... SESB07.pdf

http://www.haywardnet.com/products/Manu ... ual218.pdf

The system appears to be very similar to Ikeric's Dyna-Miser variable speed pumps, consisting of a three-phase induction motor (plain vanilla in commercial and industry) being driven by a variable speed motor drive mounted in a separate panel. The motor drive panel is fed single phase 230 Volt power and outputs three-phase 230 Volt power to the motor.

The Pentair IntelliFlo, with it's very advanced PMSM - permanent magnet synchronous motors - still appears to be more advanced and more efficient than the Ikeric and Hayward solutions. The Ikeric and Hayward solutions, however, are tried and trued technology that have been around for at least twenty years, but is only now being introduced into the residential pool market. Three-phase motors and variable speed drives for them are fairly low-cost, and even more important, readily and easily available. I have, at this point, serious concerns about the availability (and cost!) of replacement drives and motors for the IntelliFlo. I would be interested in hearing of user's experiences of the cost of replacing motors and drives for the IntelliFlo after the one year warranty has expired. Since the IntelliFlo has only been out 18 months or so, it is possible that Pentair is still covering motor and drive failures, if any, past the nominal one year warranty as a show of good faith for their customers. Again, it would be interesting to hear feedback on this subject.

Titanium

Update:

Hayward technical services replied to an e-mail I sent. They say that Hayward Marketing does not have any estimated prices yet and that the variable speed pumps will be available at the beggining of next year.

Titanium

Update:

This is the first pricing for the Hayward "Tristar Energy Solution" that I have found on the Internet.

http://www.aquapoolstore.com/mm5/mercha ... _Code=TRSP

Hayward TriStar Variable Speed 2.7 HP 230v 3 phase Title 20 pump
Code: SP322063EEV
Price: $479.00
[NOTE: This is for the TriStar pump and 3-phase motor only. No variable speed control panel. This pump/motor is what came with my new Ikeric variable speed pump system.]

Hayward TriStar Energy Solution Control
Code: SP3220VSC
Price: $595.00
[NOTE: This is for the variable speed control panel only. No pump/motor.]

Hayward TriStar ES Energy Solution Control
Code: SP3220VSCAQL
Price: $659.00
[NOTE: This is the same as above except that it comes with an interface to Pro Logic, which is a pool control system from Hayward/GoldLine.]

Titanium

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.