Can Pentair Intellitouch i5 control Nidec Neptune 1.65 Variable Speed Motor?

OCRhino

Nov 27, 2023
Southern California
We purchased a home with an in-ground pool and spa and, through a comedy of errors involving a home warranty company and multiple contractors, I now have the pre-existing Whisperflo attached to a Nidec Neptune 1.65 Variable Speed motor. The pool and spa were controlled by an Intellitouch i5 with an indoor control panel. The contractor recommended the Neptune as an upgrade, assuring me that it would work with the Intellitouch. He was unable to get it to connect without running at full speed 100% of the time, and because he recommended an upgrade, it took it out of coverage under the home warranty.

The Intellitouch manual references the ability to program an Intelliflo variable speed motor via the RS-485 communications cable, and the Neptune manual also references the ability for it to be controlled by an external controller via RS-485 cable. However, it also says "Contact US Motors/Nidec Motor Corporation for the proper communication protocol." and I've been unable to get any information.

As of now, the pump is running 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening at full speed, set via the UI on the Neptune itself. In order to use the spa, I need to change the settings on the Neptune. My goal is to have the indoor control panel control the pump schedule and speed and allow overrides as necessary. The vendor who installed it now says that he needs to install an Intellicom interface in order to get it to work. Given his prior representations, I'm skeptical. Is anyone aware of whether the Intellitouch can communicate directly with the Neptune? If not, would the Intellicom interface address the issue? If the answer to both are no, are there any suggestions for equipment that would economically address the situation? Thanks in advance!

Oc,

The IntelliTouch will not directly control your 3rd party pump...

The pump does have the ability to be controlled by discrete inputs.. Each input would tell the pump to run a specific speed. See page 26 in the pump manual. The IntelliTouch would need to have an empty relay for each speed you want to run.. Looks like the limit is about 4.

The IntelliCom allows you to control an IntelliFlo pump using discrete inputs that get translated into an RS-485 com port.. It does not work the other way around, so useless for your application.

I suggest that you buy a real IntelliFlo pump so you can control it with your IntelliTouch. It is the only way you will be happy.

Thanks,

Jim R.

We purchased a home with an in-ground pool and spa and, through a comedy of errors involving a home warranty company and multiple contractors, I now have the pre-existing Whisperflo attached to a Nidec Neptune 1.65 Variable Speed motor. The pool and spa were controlled by an Intellitouch i5 with an indoor control panel. The contractor recommended the Neptune as an upgrade, assuring me that it would work with the Intellitouch. He was unable to get it to connect without running at full speed 100% of the time, and because he recommended an upgrade, it took it out of coverage under the home warranty.

The Intellitouch manual references the ability to program an Intelliflo variable speed motor via the RS-485 communications cable, and the Neptune manual also references the ability for it to be controlled by an external controller via RS-485 cable. However, it also says "Contact US Motors/Nidec Motor Corporation for the proper communication protocol." and I've been unable to get any information.

As of now, the pump is running 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening at full speed, set via the UI on the Neptune itself. In order to use the spa, I need to change the settings on the Neptune. My goal is to have the indoor control panel control the pump schedule and speed and allow overrides as necessary. The vendor who installed it now says that he needs to install an Intellicom interface in order to get it to work. Given his prior representations, I'm skeptical. Is anyone aware of whether the Intellitouch can communicate directly with the Neptune? If not, would the Intellicom interface address the issue? If the answer to both are no, are there any suggestions for equipment that would economically address the situation? Thanks in advance!
An Intellicom 2 will not interface with the Neptune motor. Those are for Pentair pumps.
Page 26 of the manual that came with the motor explains how the motor can be controlled with relay inputs. You can tap into the power that actuates a relay and have it change speeds when a relay is powered on. According to the manual the input can be from 9 - 30 VAC/DC. You don't need an open relay. It can also use valve-actuator power inputs to change speeds.

Attachments

• Neptune 16527 THP Pool Pump Installation and Operation Guide.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 4
Page 26 of the manual that came with the motor explains how the motor can be controlled with relay inputs. You can tap into the power that actuates a relay and have it change speeds when a relay is powered on. According to the manual the input can be from 9 - 30 VAC/DC. You don't need an open relay. It can also use valve-actuator power inputs to change speeds.
Thanks. I hoped that was something that could be done. Can I mirror the wiring and programming the Intellitouch manual suggests? Is there a wiring diagram that would lay that out? I'm comfortable with electrical wiring, but this is my first time needing to get involved with circuitry.

Not sure which wiring diagram you are looking at.
Each relay has two small wires at the top that actuate them. If you run another wire from one side to GND and from the other side to one of the 4 terminals shown in the diagram, that speed will be activated with #4 having priority if it is on when any other comes on. Program a device that uses a relay to come on and, with the wiring to the pump set up that way, a new speed will come on.
Not sure what equipment you have so can't give further explanation.
Be sure that all the wires connected to GND come from the same side of all relays. You can use 22g. sprinkler wire for this.
Its not difficult. This is the way an Intellicom2 works for Pentair pumps. That Nidec motor has the capability built in. Takes a bit of creative programming of the automation to do what you want it to do.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.