Replacement pool pump

duhmel

Mar 14, 2018
torrance, ca
I have an AO Smith K48M2PApump that need to be replaced. I am told that I will need a variable speed pump which then requires me to replace the filter. Thus instead of costinf $300 to replace the pump , I'm being quoted $2300. I see that this motor is still being sold to people with addresses outside of California. As I read the law it just requires motors MADE in California to meet the new standards. If I get a motor sent to an addres outside of California, then sent to me, would there b any problem for a contractor to install it?

I have an AO Smith K48M2PApump that need to be replaced. I am told that I will need a variable speed pump which then requires me to replace the filter. Thus instead of costinf $300 to replace the pump , I'm being quoted $2300. I see that this motor is still being sold to people with addresses outside of California. As I read the law it just requires motors MADE in California to meet the new standards. If I get a motor sent to an addres outside of California, then sent to me, would there b any problem for a contractor to install it?
There is no need to replace a filter when a motor is replaced if it isn't broken. Motors aren't made in CA, most aren't even made in the US, but they have to be code compliant, which is also a Federal standard by the DOE.
You have an AOSmith/Century motor, not a pump. It is a 2.2THP motor. You would usually be better off with a variable-speed replacement motor if the rest of the wet-end is good. Would likely cost less than half the quote you received. Which one would work best for you needs more information about your system. What pump do you have? Do you have automation?
As a homeowner, you can pretty much do what you want with your pool. As a contractor, I would be breaking the law in California if I installed a non-compliant motor. Remember, if I'd cheat the law I'd cheat you, you're a customer, not a family or friend.
For a buck, I'm sure you can find someone to do it, that's the dark side of the pool business. Most reputable contractors won't install a customer's illegal product.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.