Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: main drain

1. Back To Top    #1

main drain

Hi I was wondering if the main drain in a pool needs to be on ? I dont think it was on last year, this year when the pool guy opened it is on. This is my 2nd year owning a pool so I'm still new to it.

Its an inground pool.

Thanks.
    Mike

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: main drain

I have some flow through mine. I think it helps keep the water mixed. Otherwise, the return jets are only about a foot below the skimmer, so the top of the pool gets filtered, but what about below? I also have noticed that I don't have that layer of colder water down at the bottom like many other pools I'm swam in.

It's also nice to be able to brush stray bits of debris at the drain and have them get sucked away. No need to wrestle the vacuum hose.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

How does one turn it on?? We are in the opposite situation -- our first year of pool ownership the drain was on and it isn't anymore. There is no suction through the main drain on the floor of the deep end.
    Canadian Pool newbie!
    Kidney-shaped 16x32, in-ground, SWG, vinyl liner, 20,000 gal [approx. 75,000 L]
    Hayward "Super Pump" 1 HP; Hayward Sand Filter (flow rate 200 L/min [53 G/min]); Zodiac Clearwater LM2 SWG; Jandy heater
    Full sun from 7 am to 7 pm, no trees
    Three young kids aged 5 and under ~~ heavy bather "loads" and lotsa coaching about peeing in the TOILET!

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks.

As for turning it on. There should be a lever for it near your filter.
    Mike

5. Back To Top    #5

There are different ways the main drain can be installed. Ideally it has a separate pipe going to the equipment pad and there is a valve on the pad that allows you to control where water is drawn from. Some builders leave out the valve. Other builders plumb the main drain to a second hole in the bottom of one of the skimmers. If you have that there is a special fitting you can get that allows you to force the skimmer to draw some of it's water from the main drain pipe.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Other builders plumb the main drain to a second hole in the bottom of one of the skimmers. If you have that there is a special fitting you can get that allows you to force the skimmer to draw some of it's water from the main drain pipe.
    Thanks again. We don't have a separate valve, so I assume ours is linked to one of the skimmer holes. If I recall correctly, the main drain worked one season, then we had a pool store winterize and close our pool for the season. My husband opened the pool the next spring, and the drain stopped pulling water. Was hubby supposed to do something to "open" that drain again? I don't recall seeing anything in the hole, but I'm at work at the moment. Today after work I'll take a closer look...
    Canadian Pool newbie!
    Kidney-shaped 16x32, in-ground, SWG, vinyl liner, 20,000 gal [approx. 75,000 L]
    Hayward "Super Pump" 1 HP; Hayward Sand Filter (flow rate 200 L/min [53 G/min]); Zodiac Clearwater LM2 SWG; Jandy heater
    Full sun from 7 am to 7 pm, no trees
    Three young kids aged 5 and under ~~ heavy bather "loads" and lotsa coaching about peeing in the TOILET!

7. Back To Top    #7

If you have a skimmer with two holes in the bottom, there is a special part that proably looks something like one of these:

that goes in the bottom of the skimmer. Perhaps he forgot to reinstall that part.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School