Loss of pressure on this pipe

Apr 21, 2011
Oklahoma
Here is the pipe that is losing pressure. I get the PSI to 20 and my skimmer fills up. I'm assuming this pipe has a leak around the threads. I put tape on it, screwed it back in and tightened. I did the pressure test and same thing. Drops about 2 lbs in 6 hrs, fills my skimmer and water starts to slowly come out. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• skimmer that leaks.JPG
    skimmer that leaks.JPG
    417.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Plumbing.JPG
    Plumbing.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 40
Plastic threads are notoriously harder to seal than metal.

LOTS of tape. Put on what you think is enough, then do 4-5 more turns on all the threads just to be safe. Don't overtighten. A strong hand tight is plenty. Over tightening can cause leaks. You are putting the tape on clockwise right (when looking at the open end with the threads)? That way when you tighten the counterclockwise pressure tightens the tape into the joint.

You could try this also:

http://www.oatey.com/Channel/Shared/Pro ... +PTFE.html

I like dope better than tape on large plastic fittings.

There is also a pink gas line teflon tape that is a little thicker and I think easier to use. Can get it at any home improvement center. You can use the pink gas tape on water plumbing, but can't use the white plumbing tape on gas lines.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.