PhillyPoolGuy

Jun 8, 2023
Philly Suburbs
Hi everybody, pool newbie here and need advice. My pool construction is nearly complete. Waiting on plaster, water, and start up. My hardscaping around the pool is done.

A few days ago my PB asked me to check the PSI pressure at my equipment pad, up to that point I was clueless about the pressure gauge, PSI and just assumed because the pool was incomplete, and I did not have to pay attention to it.

The PB asked me to check the PSI and said it should be between 10-20. I checked the pressure it was 0. Oh no.

The next day the PB came, added 20 PSI with an air generator and told me to monitor.

Exactly 24 hours later the PSI was at 13 and continues to slowly decrease.

The PB said he’s not concerned and said if there was a leak in the pipes, we would know within minutes of adding the air. He said slowly losing PSI makes sense because none of the seals are fully tightened on the equipment or skimmer area and the air is likely getting out there and all that work will be done at the time we fill it up and get the equipment going.

This is all so new to me and I am getting paranoid and I don’t know where to turn for advice.

My fear is there is a real underlying issue, we make final payments to the PB, and a few weeks out I’m screwed and get stuck with dealing with the issue, having to breakup the paver landscaping, dig to find leaks, etc.

Am I being overly paranoid?!

Please help!

Thank you so much in advance!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: There can be a small variance with a drop in pressure. It may be due to the system design, air temperature, or other factors that may influence the reading. But let's reach out to @AQUA~HOLICS for some field experience. Stand by .....

Oh, and while we are waiting, post ANY pics of your pool and equipment pad. It will help.

My fear is there is a real underlying issue, we make final payments to the PB, and a few weeks out I’m screwed and get stuck with dealing with the issue, having to breakup the paver landscaping, dig to find leaks, etc.
What are the ACTUAL contractual obligations for final payment.

The plumbers I have experience with tighten all possible connections so to get a true leak down test. Typically any changes in the readings are from expansion and contraction due to temperature changes. Keep in mind this is a positive test for the builder to keep ahead of any future issues.
Im sorry but in my opinion this is a critical point in the construction process and not taken lightly.

Look around for any water leaks around any exposed plumbing. My experience is that plumbers will add water to the plumbing lines with air pressure so if a leak occurs you can find it. Also run the air pressure up to 40 PSI and run the next test for a minimum of 24 hours.

Last edited:
It sounds like this is a hydrostatic test for a plumbing inspection?

The test pressure may vary slightly with temperature changes (up or down), but it will not drop continually . If it does, it indicates a leak. That is the whole purpose of the test.

Not sure about PA, but in NJ it is illegal to test PVC with air. The pipe manufacturers also do not allow it.

Do not accept the plumbing if that gauge does not maintain pressure for 24 hours. If there is a small leak now, it will become a big leak, and a big problem in the future.

And no you are not being overly paranoid. It is very important to resolve this issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.