Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Filter Drain Plug

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Filter Drain Plug

Hello everyone. I have a Hayward sand filter. I am not sure of the model and I am trying to find a drain plug for it. Are all hayward drain plugs similar? I misplaced mine and not sure how to proceed.
    Mountain View, Arkansas, 23,000 gallon in-ground concrete pool with a 24-in Hayward Pro-Series Sand Filter with side-mount. Chlorinator is attached but only use occasionally and a 1 hp pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Filter Drain Plug

A garden hose (3/4") end plug/ cap works on most of the Hayward filters I've played with.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

My filter may not be a hayward then. I moved into the house 2 years ago and this is the shape the filter was in. A 3/4 inch hose size end is to small. Hope the pics help someone identify it.[attachment=0:2yyuu5t9]Pool Filter 1 (480x640).jpg[/attachment:2yyuu5t9]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mountain View, Arkansas, 23,000 gallon in-ground concrete pool with a 24-in Hayward Pro-Series Sand Filter with side-mount. Chlorinator is attached but only use occasionally and a 1 hp pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is a closer pic of the drain[attachment=0:3dvss2dz]Pool filter drain 1.jpg[/attachment:3dvss2dz]
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

I hope someone can help. Just received my TF-100 test kit yesterday and am ready to start getting the pool running. Losing this drain cap has definitely put a damper on things. Thanks to those that can help

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks alot like my Pentair Sanddollar, manual attached.

Others here have more experience than me.
    You can go to the poolstore & tell em the 3/4" is too small & buy svereal other sizes then return the wrong ones, take the photo w you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

And on a piece of paper outline the circumference w a pencil & that to the store? Buy a few sizes if in doubt & return the wrong sizes
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks everyone. I will measure and go from there. Trying to order one online. Just making sure I get the right one.

9. Back To Top    #9

I measured it 1 3/4. Ugh. And I have no pool stores within 50 miles. Guess ill be making a trip