How to make pool pump smart/work with phone?

ForceEdge

Aug 7, 2020
Long Island
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
So I was looking into smart plugs/outlets to make my Pentair Intelli Flo a smart pump, but I can’t seem to find 220v outlet/plugs anywhere.

I currently plug my pump Into this outlet and it goes on by a timer but I was hoping to control from phone.

Anyone seen any solutions for this?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_5593.jpeg
    IMG_5593.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 0
What are you trying to accomplish. You can do a lot with the Intelliflo’s onboard controller, but you can also setup preset speed that can be triggered by an outside source. A few years ago I set up some simple smart controls for my pool lights and pumps.

Reactions: ForceEdge
An Intelliflo VS pump is fully programmable with its onboard system. Tell us what model pump you have
What are you trying to accomplish. You can do a lot with the Intelliflo’s onboard controller, but you can also setup preset speed that can be triggered by an outside source. A few years ago I set up some simple smart controls for my pool lights and pumps.

Well, I have the Avia pool heater which has built in WiFi. So I can control it with my phone through the app. Which is what I’m looking to do with the pump.

Pump is a Pentair 011028

I was thinking using a smart plug for the pool pump, but I can’t find a 220 smart plug

That pump is fully programmable on the pump. It is designed to have constant power to it. Turning the power on and off to the pumps drive is not recommended.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
That pump is fully programmable on the pump. It is designed to have constant power to it. Turning the power on and off to the pumps drive is not recommended.
Okay Well maybe I’m wrong but isn’t
that exactly what the timer does though ?

So what’s the difference compared to the smart outlet

The drive/controls are powered all the time. If you use a smart plug, you will be cycling power. It is not designed for that.

Okay Well maybe I’m wrong but isn’t
that exactly what the timer does though ?

So what’s the difference compared to the smart outlet

Take a look at your timer and make sure its actually controlling your pump...from your media library.

1715002361956.png

Note there are no trippers on the dial. There is also a device wired to terminals 1 and 3 which is constant pass-through power.

If you want Wifi control of your pump, take a look at Pentair's IntelliSync or IntelliConnect. These are the least expensive off-the-shelf options.

Reactions: Donldson

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Makes sense guys. Probably should just leave everything as is with timer.

Now for the Raypak, considering it can be controlled from app. Does it make more sense for it to be wired to timer? Or have constant power?

I figured constant power so it’s always on BUT not running. I figured this because when the timer shuts off it’ll reset everything

If it has constant power I thought all memory will stay the same, it won’t have to try and reconnect to WiFi every time and I would have to worry

What’s your thoughts?

It should receive constant power. Cutting power via a timer would prevent the blower from evacuating gas from the system. Controlling it through the app will cut off heat but retain the other functions of the heater.