Old Style Coping

Jun 9, 2007
Pennsylvania
I need to replace a couple coping pieces around my pool. I think it was built in the 70's by Anthony Sylvan pools. I have attached a picture of the coping piece. Does anyone know if I can still get these?

Attachments

• Coping Piece 2.JPG
    Coping Piece 2.JPG
    455.3 KB · Views: 235
40 years of wear will never be matched. The cement around the aggregate is eroded away, exposing more far aggregate than new, similar styled coping would.

Chances are pretty good that more than a couple are problematic. I urge you take a wooden handle and tap the surface of every section. Those that are hollow sounding are a danger. They can let go at any time. That can land on a person, injuring them and damage the pool's plaster.

It really sounds like it's time to replace it all.

Scott

Given that the sides of the rocks and not just the outside surfaces are exposed, the coping stones were most likely done as exposed aggregate from day one (they precast the pieces, spray retardant on them, and then after the core has cured, wash off the surface, which exposes the aggregate). Replacements would likely have to be custom made by a concrete counter top contractor or pre-cast concrete statuary manufacturer, but there's no way that they'll be able to find the mix of rocks to make the color and texture an exact match. That'll cost you an arm and a leg to have custom done, so entire replacement may be best.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.