Saint augustine, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello! New to this forum, i'm currently having a pool built and i'm just before the Plaster step. I brought a few things up to my builder and he said "there isn't much we can do about it," so I was curious to gauge your opinions. In the first 3 pictures, the coping doesn't line up with the pavers, because there is an 1-2 inches of concrete behind the coping for some reason, which is what they lined the paver up with. In the first picture, you can kind of see the coping veer to the right. So my first question is, does anyone know if something can be done about this or a way of covering it up somehow? In the 4th picture it shows the border around the backside of the pool.

My second question is in reference to the last two pictures, is it normal for a skimmer to just be hanging out uncovered like this? The builder just said to, "Not worry about it because dirt and sod would cover it."

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    696.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Skim.jpeg
    Skim.jpeg
    726.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Skim 2.jpeg
    Skim 2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
  • Thick Border.jpeg
    Thick Border.jpeg
    821.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    750.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    866.5 KB · Views: 64
I may not completely understand your first question about the coping veering to the right, is the inside of the coping that cantilevers over the pool completely strait and squares up with the connecting edges?
In pictures 2-3-4, the Shotcrete shell of the pool was built too thick and the overage is now showing.

The second question regarding the skimmer, typically the skimmer box is completely incased in Shotcrete so to be as one with the entire pool shell for strength and stability. As you can see a rebar cage is formed around the skimmer prior to being incased in Shotcrete.IMG_5108.jpegIMG_5109.png

Reactions: soccerballbmw
To say it another way the top of the bond beam is too wide for the coping stones used, or the coping stones used are too small for the way the thickness of the shotcrete.

Poor planning by someone but more a cosmetic problem.

The skimmer not being boxed by rebar and attached to the pool structure with shotcrete is more concerning. That must be fixed with rebar epoxied into holes in the pool structure and encased in concrete.

I may not completely understand your first question about the coping veering to the right, is the inside of the coping that cantilevers over the pool completely strait and squares up with the connecting edges?
In pictures 2-3-4, the Shotcrete shell of the pool was built too thick and the overage is now showing.

The second question regarding the skimmer, typically the skimmer box is completely incased in Shotcrete so to be as one with the entire pool shell for strength and stability. As you can see a rebar cage is formed around the skimmer prior to being incased in Shotcrete.View attachment 550587View attachment 550588

Thank you for the response! That is correct, certain parts of the wall were built too thick, of which the pavers line up with the wall and not the coping. The builder was clear when i asked a few days ago that nothing more would be done with the skimmer, that dirt would cover it only. I should also mention, that there are 2 skimmers. One of them is covered with the pavers. Pool shot.jpegSecond Skimmer.jpeg

To say it another way the top of the bond beam is too wide for the coping stones used, or the coping stones used are too small for the way the thickness of the shotcrete.

Poor planning by someone but more a cosmetic problem.

The skimmer not being boxed by rebar and attached to the pool structure with shotcrete is more concerning. That must be fixed with rebar epoxied into holes in the pool structure and encased in concrete.
Thank you, That is a better way of saying that. I'm wondering if there is anything people do to make this cosmetic issue less...ugly. As for the skimmer, we seem to keep passing the inspections, i'm not sure how I'm going to convince them to do this if they aren't being forced to do it.

Thank you, That is a better way of saying that. I'm wondering if there is anything people do to make this cosmetic issue less...ugly.

I don’t think anyone enjoying your pool will notice that.

As for the skimmer, we seem to keep passing the inspections, i'm not sure how I'm going to convince them to do this if they aren't being forced to do it.

In a few years the skimmer or it’s pipes will likely crack and leak as the pool structure moves separately from the skimmer due to not being structurally connected to the pool and putting stress on the skimmer.

You need to decide if you want to go to war with the builder over this. Send him a notice is writing with pictures stating this is not proper workmanship and he is expected to be responsible to warrant the skimmer area against any cracking if not fixed. Consider holding back something like $5,000 from his final payment until it is fixed.

You can talk to other builders, rebar, and gunite crews in the area and ask how they install skimmers in their gunite pools.

I don’t think anyone enjoying your pool will notice that.

In a few years the skimmer or it’s pipes will likely crack and leak as the pool structure moves separately from the skimmer due to not being structurally connected to the pool and putting stress on the skimmer.

You need to decide if you want to go to war with the builder over this. Send him a notice is writing with pictures stating this is not proper workmanship and he is expected to be responsible to warrant the skimmer area against any cracking if not fixed. Consider holding back something like $5,000 from his final payment until it is fixed.

You can talk to other builders, rebar, and gunite crews in the area and ask how they install skimmers in their gunite pools.
Thank you for your help. All great ideas, particularly about talking to other builder's in the area, thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You have neither of these methods…

The first method is the most leak-proof. It involves placing the skimmers into the steel frame that comprises the pool wall. The installer then encapsulates the skimmers in a massive block of concrete.

The second method, while more prone to leaking, is the most common way to install skimmers. Instead of encapsulating them in the concrete, the installer leaves notches in the pool wall where the skimmers will go. Once the gunite is complete, the installer “pegs” the skimmers to the wall by drilling holes into the concrete behind them. Rebar creates a form around the skimmers, and hydraulic cement is poured into place to hold the skimmers to the pool wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.