Newburgh, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I need some help and guidance. I’ve been battling with a green pool for weeks now. As of this morning here is what my pool tests show. I’m using Leslie’s AccuBlue home testing device. I’ll attach my results. I’ve tried using Green to Clean and I actually have more on hand to try again. I’ve been shocking using 73% Cal-Hypo. But nothing I do seems to knock-out the algae. I tried 4x shocking with Cal-Hypo followed but a 3x the following night, followed by a 2X again the next night evening. Yet I still have a green pool. Any help that can be offered would be SO appreciated. I’ve also been running my filter non stop for at least two weeks now, so I don’t believe this to be a filtration issue.

Screenshot_20230809_205351_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to tfp 👋
For algae we recommend doing the
SLAM Process with liquid chlorine based on your cya level
FC/CYA Levels
as it doesn’t add anything extra to the water that you don’t need like more cya or calcium.
To do this successfully you need a Taylor k2006c or tf100/pro test kit as they are the only ones that do all the important tests needed.
Test Kits Compared

Until you get one in & know where you really stand with your cya level you can add 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine each day slowly infront of a running return to keep things from getting worse. Use
PoolMath to calculate amounts.

*If your cya level is really that high you’ll need to replace some water as it is impractical & very expensive to attempt to reach/maintain shock/slam levels as high as are necessary to eradicate algae as you can see from this chart 👇
IMG_7221.jpeg
Let’s wait until you have accurate test results before exchanging any water though. Here’s the details on how to safely exchange water so you can get prepared

Reactions: Newdude
I need some help and guidance. I’ve been battling with a green pool for weeks now. As of this morning here is what my pool tests show. I’m using Leslie’s AccuBlue home testing device. I’ll attach my results. I’ve tried using Green to Clean and I actually have more on hand to try again. I’ve been shocking using 73% Cal-Hypo. But nothing I do seems to knock-out the algae. I tried 4x shocking with Cal-Hypo followed but a 3x the following night, followed by a 2X again the next night evening. Yet I still have a green pool. Any help that can be offered would be SO appreciated. I’ve also been running my filter non stop for at least two weeks now, so I don’t believe this to be a filtration issue.
As you’ve discovered Leslie’s testing isn’t very good and their advice isn’t very good either. It’s definately a chlorine issue (lack of it) and not a filtration issue. But you don’t want any more calcium or CYA in the water assuming the tests are accurate(we don’t believe they are). Get a test kit as recommended above and go from there.

+1 on getting your own kit. Leslie's testing is as bad as their advice.

Keep in mind that lack of chlorine is your problem. Leslie's goal is to sell you as much stuff as possible. They will try and sell you all sorts of magic potions (green to clean, phosphate remover, flocculant, clarifier, algaecide, etc.) when really all you need is chlorine and typically got in the mess because of their poor advice.

We can help you get through this but you have to get a good test kit and ditch Leslie's and any advice you have ever heard from them.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Welcome to tfp 👋
FC/CYA Levels
as it doesn’t add anything extra to the water that you don’t need like more cya or calcium.
To do this successfully you need a Taylor k2006c or tf100/pro test kit as they are the only ones that do all the important tests needed.
Test Kits Compared

Until you get one in & know where you really stand with your cya level you can add 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine each day slowly infront of a running return to keep things from getting worse. Use

*If your cya level is really that high you’ll need to replace some water as it is impractical & very expensive to attempt to reach/maintain shock/slam levels as high as are necessary to eradicate algae as you can see from this chart 👇
View attachment 520408
Let’s wait until you have accurate test results before exchanging any water though. Here’s the details on how to safely exchange water so you can get prepared
So I'm going to get the TFPro test kit. What add ons might I need? There are several options.

So I'm going to get the TFPro test kit. What add ons might I need? There are several options.
I would pick the slam option so you don’t risk running out of reagents mid slam & select “receive my tfpro NOW & send the smart stir later” since they are on backorder.
IMG_7225.png

Reactions: Newdude
As you’ve discovered Leslie’s testing isn’t very good and their advice isn’t very good either. It’s definately a chlorine issue (lack of it) and not a filtration issue. But you don’t want any more calcium or CYA in the water assuming the tests are accurate(we don’t believe they are). Get a test kit as recommended above and go from there.
Welcome to tfp 👋
FC/CYA Levels
Test Kits Compared

View attachment 520408
Assuming I do need to exchange water to lower CYA levels. Is there information on ~ how much water needs to be exchanged to lower CYA?

Assuming I do need to exchange water to lower CYA levels. Is there information on ~ how much water needs to be exchanged to lower CYA?
It’s equally proportional as Marty said- you can use the old poolmath web page Here to get an exact percentage when you get your cya test results.
When your kit comes you’ll probably need to go ahead & do the diluted cya test - step 8👇

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got my test kit today. CYA Levle tests @90. FC is @27. I think I'm going to procced w/o a water exchange. I have about 5 gallons of LC on hand right now. Should I be concerned with my CH level at this point? I have not tested it, but Leslie's test reported it high.

Doing some reading I'm also strongly considering adding DE to my sand.

Last edited:
Slam level for a cya of 90 is 35ppm.
This can get very expensive especially with liquid chlorine being $5+ a gallon.
Did you do the diluted cya test?

Got my test kit today. CYA Levle tests @90. FC is @27. I think I'm going to procced w/o a water exchange. I have about 5 gallons of LC on hand right now. Should I be concerned with my CH level at this point? I have not tested it, but Leslie's test reported it high.

Doing some reading I'm also strongly considering adding DE to my sand.
Never concern yourself with any Leslie’s test results.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Do all the tests with your kit & post the numbers- including the diluted cya test
Fc
Cc
Ph
Ta
Ch
Cya
My chlorine tested @ 27 last night so I added 1.75 gallons of LC. I’ll post the rest of my results tonight after work. But with my FC that high I’ve gathered that PH will be inaccurate

This morning I performed only a FC and CC test. They were 47 and 2 respectively

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.