New pool numbers

Feb 9, 2011
Central Texas
Just tested the water with my new TF-100 kit. PB is still running the water balance. Fill happened 13 days ago. Here are my readings:

FC 0.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.5
TA 80
CH 180
CYA 0

I have been testing just Chlorine and pH for the past few days and was shocked to find that there was 0 FC in the water. I added a jug of bleach which the calc says will raise it to 2 ppm. Next evening when I test it reads .5 - 0 again. Added another jug. The pool is set up for Trichlor and that is what they were using in the feeder. Not sure why the CYA is 0 but might explain the issue. I added some pucks today so will see what it reads tomorrow.

Well, the CYA is zero because trichlor tablets dissolve too slowly to bump the CYA up quickly. With no CYA, you lose your FC to the sun almost as soon as it is available in the water. Consider adding the CYA as a separate addition. Purchase 99% or 100% CYA from the pool store and add enough to get your CYA to 30. When adding the CYA, give it several days to dissolve before checking it again. CYA granules are very slow to dissolve into solution.

Did not have a chance to go to the pool store, but borrowed a neighbors stabilizer and added what he had ~ 4 lb. Will get additional tomorrow and add it. Going to run the pump 24 hrs till I get it up to the right levels. I am worried about the water quality. Right now though, it is crystal clear.

Thanks!

Just keep adding chlorine and it will stay clear. Adding chlorine in the evening, while CYA is low, will allow it to at least work overnight, before it is burned up by the sun during the day :goodjob:

With fresh plaster it is fairly common to run with pucks for the first month or so. The FC level will start out low, but with low CYA it doesn't take very much chlorine. This approach is especially effective if the pump is running 24/7, which is often done with fresh plaster.

The CYA test can read zero when CYA is as high as 20, and will almost always read zero when CYA is below 10. Trichlor has CYA in it, but not huge amounts, it takes a while to build up to a level you can read on the test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.