Strange case of vanishing FC and CYA? possible bad salt?

smkz

Jan 9, 2024
Central FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
Hi all, I am a new pool owner (bought a house with a pool a few months ago), and I just had something really strange happen with my water chemistry that I can't explain. Maybe someone here can?

Disclaimer: All tests performed with a TF Pro kit unless noted otherwise.

The previous owners of my pool used mainly trichlor tablets, so my CYA was too high (~120). I removed the chlorine feeder and switched to LC only. I decided I wanted to do a salt conversion, and finally started work on it this weekend. I drained some water and refilled to lower CYA. After the partial drain and fill I had 7.5 FC, 0 CC, 7.6 pH, 80 TA, 350 CH, 80 CYA. Great, ready to add salt. Using a handheld salt tester, I determined I had around 400 PPM. Referencing a salt chart, I went to HD, bought water softener pellets, and added enough to the pool to get to around 3600 PPM. After letting it circulate my tester reported 3700, close enough.

The next day - today, I installed my SWG (Circupool RJ30+). Once everything was up and running, I did one more water test to get a baseline for future SWG power adjustment. But wait... no pink water after adding DPD powder? That can't be right? I pulled out a test strip and it too reported zero FC, as well as very low CYA (10-20). What?? I did a CYA test with the TF Pro and it reported 80 as expected. So both tests agree that there's no FC (down from 7.5 overnight?), but disagree on CYA. In the past, the strips and my TF Pro tests have agreed with each other pretty consistently, and this is the first time they are way off. I trust the TF test more, but I don't know how I lost all my FC in 24 hours with CYA at 80. I panicked and dumped a bunch of LC into the water.

I am in FL and the water is still chilly in the low 70's. I've never had a huge swing in FC like this before, and I'm struggling to explain it. The pool was unused between both tests and nothing out of the ordinary got into it, just a few leaves. The only change was the salt I added, but I'm not seeing anything that indicates adding salt affects FC. I also can't explain why my tests now disagree so much on my CYA level. I am choosing to believe the 80 result because that's what it was 24 hours ago, but I don't know how all my FC would have been burned up so quickly if that were true.

Anyone have an idea what might have happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Morton's "pure and natural" water softener salt in the blue bag, which supposedly contains no additives. Something organic in the salt seems like it's probably the answer for why my FC got blown away. I see FC now in my testing after my emergency chlorine dumping, so I'll check again soon to see if it's still depleting.

Reactions: Mdragger88
At 120+ CYA, you also needed a sky high FC to properly sanitize. You shouldOvernight Chlorine Loss Test to prove there is nothing brewing. The sudden FC drop may have been from killing whatever was brewing and the OCLT will confirm there is nothing left to kill.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I was maintaining 10-12 FC with just liquid chlorine prior to the partial drain I did yesterday to lower CYA. In the few months I've owned the pool, I've never had any visible water quality issues and my testing never registered any CC, so I'd say it's unlikely that I had something brewing before I started work this weekend, but you never know. The only new things that were actually added to the pool were the salt and my fill water, the latter of which is very unlikely to contain something organic that would blow away all my FC... I hope at least cause I drink that stuff :oops:!

FC seems stable now, and I will test again first thing tomorrow to see if there's been a drop and move forward from there. Thanks for the advice all!

Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
Final update on this: Didn't lose any FC overnight, and the SWG is pumping it out quickly at 50% so I'll likely have to lower the power tomorrow. Everything looking good now, so seems like I got a bad batch of salt. Will be curious to see if anyone else reports issues with the Morton's blue bag salt!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just converted my pool this week as well. Bought my Morton’s at Home Depot.
Before I started up the SWG today, FC was @6 on Wednesday, on Sunday it was at 0.3.

I also was adding liquid CYA, calcium chloride, and balancing PH/TA levels since last Tuesday.

So you’re not the only one, although it sounds like I had a lot more things to get balanced then you.

We also had a lot of pollen the last few days… I’m curious if that’s possibly what did it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.