Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Copper Ionization?

1. Back To Top    #1

Copper Ionization?

What is it? Is it bad for your AGP? I see where the newer models of the Intex SWGs have it, but the older ones do not and those are hard to find. Thanks.
    24' AGP
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump
    Hayward Pro Series S180T 150lb sand filter
    Intex 54601EG Krystal Clear SWG
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Copper Ionization?

It's bad in the sense that it causes staining. The best thing to do is unplug the ionizer and just run the SWCG. Intex added it to thier units and also reduced the output of them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, so you can just unplug the copper part of the SWG? If that is so, it makes me feel a little easier about buying one this spring. Thanks.
    24' AGP
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump
    Hayward Pro Series S180T 150lb sand filter
    Intex 54601EG Krystal Clear SWG
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, you can simply disconnect the wire running to the copper ionizer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

how much less are newer models producing (chlorine) have 2yr old model happy with this item, wondering about replacement?
    15k, ig ,vinyle ,kitbuilt, 1hp hayward, 24 hayward sand, 2-intex swg`s, manual cleaning, leslies k2006 test kit,14x28, fiberglass steps

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff74
    Ok, so you can just unplug the copper part of the SWG? If that is so, it makes me feel a little easier about buying one this spring. Thanks.
    As it is an above ground pool (vinyl) and your swg will already have it so your not buying anything extra and providing you can test and adjust the copper level independently why not use it, you will have less to worry about algae wise, it can also help with biofilm build up, it takes some of the workload away from your chlorine thus will make your salt cell last longer and you can run with lower chlorine levels.

If your pool was concrete/plaster/tile I would say absolutely disconnect it.

Going to put my flack jacket and tin hat on now

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by taintn
    how much less are newer models producing (chlorine) have 2yr old model happy with this item, wondering about replacement?
    The newer model Intex produces 12 grams/hour, the older ones are 24 grams/hour. I had to settle for the newer model when I got mine The good thing about it is that the timer keeps it's settings if you have a power outage or need to unplug it for some reason. As for the copper issue with these, I cut the copper bars off the plug because they looked like they could cause a flow restriction.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by teapot
    Going to put my flack jacket and tin hat on now
    LOL

Jeff,
    If you have blonde haired family members or pets with white hair, disconnect the wire. if you don't disconnect the wire, just be sure to keep the PH in the recommended range to avoid staining.... while rarer, copper staining can occur on vinyl pools too.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes that happened to me, staining in a few spots, but for some reason, when I lowered the usage from 2 to 1 hr a day for the swg. with my filter (8 hr / 12 hrs a day), the staining went away. I have a 16' x 48" size ag ultra frame pool...I guess the copper was reabsorbed? Not too sure why, but it DID go away after I changed the swg settings and that's good news for me!