Safety cover collapse under snow

ejt

Jun 12, 2010
My safety covver collapsed under the heavy snow. An edge of it fell in the water which is now frozen solid with snow under and over it.
Is there anything that can bedone? Will the ice damage the gunite?

The cover collapsing isn't a problem for the pool, but it may indicate that your pool is losing water, which could be a problem.

The snow or ice on top of the cover should float on the pool water. Most cover manufacturers recommend at 15" below the cover

ejt said:
My safety covver collapsed under the heavy snow.

I'm assuming an inground since you said the pool is gunite.

A few questions.
1) what type of cover is it. Solid or mesh?
2) I assume since you said safety cover, that it uses anchors in the deck. Have any of the anchors been pulled out of the deck?
3) how far did you lower the water level when you winterized?
4) define collapsed. Is part of the cover ripped away and it completely in the pool, or is the cover just sucken in the pool lower than normal?

The cover is mesh, some otf the anchors came off the metal rods, so I assume that they were placed wrongly or not tighten at all (some friends helped with the closing). The pool water level was lowered to th first step in the shallow end.
About 6-7 anchors were hanging on the side of the water, they are now imbeded in solid ice, it was 10 degrees this AM. It is a 36,000 gallon IG gunite pool, 9 feet deep at the deep end. I'm afraid I won't see those anchors until next spring, presently they are at the 4-6 feet depth level, I am concerned thepressure from the ice may damage the cement. Has anyone seen this happening?

Sounds like some of the anchors ripped out of the concrete deck. I'm also not sure what you mean by "some of the anchors came off the metal rods".

The anchors should be in the concrete deck and the safety cover would be attached to the anchors by a strap and spring assembly. What brand of cover is it? Concrete deck or pavers? A picture would help.
In any event, it sounds like an anchor failure of some type. It shouldnt damage the pool, but it sounds like some repair will be needed once it thaws out.

ejt...the pool itself should be fine, structurally, as the cover does not prevent the water that is in it from freezing. However, you may have to deal with some extra debris before spring start-up. Hope that answers your othe question. BK is far more familiar with saftey covers and the anchor systems than I am :goodjob:

Thanks for your comments. It sounds like an anchor failure, there is far too much snow around the pool to see where the anchors attach to the cement deck. I hear it is going to be in the upper 30's to 40's this weekend, I'll try to see underneath the snow, will try to get some pics tomorrow as they predict sunny skies.
Thanks for your support!
Ed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.