Skimmer Gasket Repair Question

OhAllWet

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 21, 2010
Mentor, Ohio
I know not every PS is a fan of butterfly gaskets - I have one as well as just two generic individual gaskets. We have finished our rust cleanup primer repair around the skimmer opening and are ready to put the skimmer back on. I know that I need one gasket (or one side of the butterfly gasket) on the outside of the pool. Easy.

Question: Where should the inside portion of the gasket go - between the metal skeleton and the liner or between the liner and the skimmer face plate? Should I use the butterfly gasket between the metal skeleton and the liner with a second gasket between the liner and the skimmer face plate?

The reason I ask this is that the previous gasket (taken off by us) was a butterfly gasket whose inside portion of the gasket went between the metal skeleton side and the liner. I was expecting it to cover both the metal skeleton and the liner itself to ensure no water could ever possibly get down the side of the pool wall. Not sure if there is a right answer or one answer better than the next.... thanks in advance - Jeff.

I don't know how it "should" be done, but our liner is outside the gasket. I know why they did it that way. They put the skimmer in before the trimmed the liner out for it. That way there was almost no possibility of getting it wrong.

Great! If nobody has any other ideas or thoughts by later tonight, I will be following that advice when we re-assemble this evening. The same PS who installed the pool now, by phone, says the inside portion of the gasket should be between the liner and the skimmer (and they don't know how it could possibly have been done differently during install). My guess is the trainee they had working with them probably guessed wrong. It would also explain the two extra holes in the pool wall around the skimmer (like the wrong template was used or a template turned sideways). Ugh.
On the plus side, nice day to work on the pool.

I just knew I would want to take a swim with 85 degrees and pure sunshine.
Oh well - time to go mow the lawn while I wait for my paint to finish drying.

Thanks Dave for your time!

Well - tis dark now and the pool is put all back together. What a great day. I have a new respect for handling a butterfly gasket and sighting that up with both the pool wall holes and the holes in the liner, not to mention hitting the screw holes of the skimmer as it starts to get dark.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.