Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Under construction in texas - water in it finally!

1. Back To Top    #1

Under construction in texas - water in it finally!

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Been lurking for a while learning about pools. This is a wonderful forum, I appreciate having such a source.

Our pool is in flight. I thought I would share some photos with all of you as it progresses. Please ask questions, tell me we're crazy, etc.

Design:

(Umbrellas will be in holes, not stands)

Construction:

38K Gallons IG, Intelliflow VS-SVRS, 30GPM 24/7, 72sqft DE Filter, Spectralight UV, Jandy C1900 driving Liquid Chlorine and Acid (toys, I know..), Jandy LXi gas heater, Aquacal SQ175 Heatpump, Riverflow Competition swimmer, Jandy automation, Touch and iAqualink, Pebblesheen | The Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Under construction in texas

38K Gallons IG, Intelliflow VS-SVRS, 30GPM 24/7, 72sqft DE Filter, Spectralight UV, Jandy C1900 driving Liquid Chlorine and Acid (toys, I know..), Jandy LXi gas heater, Aquacal SQ175 Heatpump, Riverflow Competition swimmer, Jandy automation, Touch and iAqualink, Pebblesheen | The Build

3. Back To Top    #3

My god you have nothing but ledge under your yard. And shallow too. That must have cost a fortune to hammer all that out.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Rather typical of parts of Texas including my back yard. That's why I have an above ground. Shakenback you have a beautiful pool and backyard oasis.
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), Liquidator, and a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    My god you have nothing but ledge under your yard. And shallow too. That must have cost a fortune to hammer all that out.
    Fill and cement would have been more I'm told. It was fixed bid, so did not end up too bad. 2 weeks of excavation, it must have been brutal for the operator in 100+ degree texas heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Txmat
    Rather typical of parts of Texas including my back yard. That's why I have an above ground. Shakenback you have a beautiful pool and backyard oasis.
    Thanks. I was getting tired of the lawn dying every year - Austin is pretty strict on water usage.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Hey, Shakenbake,

Welcome to the forum. What a great pictorial. I am completely impressed with your pool builder. It looks like his folks have done a great job to this point. That will be one georgeous pool.

I'll be the first to admit my ignorance. I do not understand the function of the three large rectangular devices (one with grillework) in the deepend. Help!!

VERY, VERY well thought out pool. Can't wait to see more progress!! Thanks for sharing!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I think those are the suction grates for the water features.

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to the forum

Are you crazy? Heck no!

I am a big fan of multiple umbrellas and your pics look amazing!

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Keep us updated
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

Makes me feel a lot better - I don't have a frame of reference for judging the construction quality. They are highly recommended in Austin, and we've had great luck - but I'm kind of a control freak, so I've been a bit nervous not having the experience to run the project myself.

The 3 large grates are for a Riverflow swimming pump - basically a variable speed 10HP pump that pushes a stream of water into the pool that simulates swimming continuously. My wife is really into swimming for exercise, and I plan to learn too. The two bottom grates (one missing a grate) are the intakes, and center at the top is the jet/return.

It's really hard to be patient!

10. Back To Top    #10

Looks great. Maybe a bit crazy, but it'll be a ton of fun. Good luck.

We just completed our pool in Austin, and have had our first week of swimming! We went with Ocean Quest Pools, no complaints. Who is doing your pool? Did the city make you plant other trees because you cut some down, or are you outside the city limits?

Kelly
    10K IG, Gunite with Wet Edge "Midnight Ocean" pebble surface, with spa, tanning shelf, and fountain. Pentair Intellibrite LED pool and spa lights. Rola-Chem chlorine pump (and tank), Pentair DE "Quad 80" cartridge filter, 400K BTU gas heater, VF Whisperflo, and Legend Pressure Side Cleaner with Pentair booster pump. Using TFTestKit.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by kellyj
    Looks great. Maybe a bit crazy, but it'll be a ton of fun. Good luck.

We just completed our pool in Austin, and have had our first week of swimming! We went with Ocean Quest Pools, no complaints. Who is doing your pool? Did the city make you plant other trees because you cut some down, or are you outside the city limits?

Kelly
    Pool Pro - they've been very solid so far. We're likely to be ice skating on this thing before we get to swim in it.

Tree-wise, I guess we're outside city limits - though the homeowners association "architectural committee", chaired by the neighbor directly behind us, has asked us to plant 2-3 big trees.

12. Back To Top    #12

Man I bet your neighbors were glad when the jackhammerring was over.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm in LOVE!! Beautiful design!! You'll need all the umbrella shade you can get for our Texas sun. Please let us know the tile, coping, etc. materials you're using asap...I'm so curious (I do see some flagstone, etc. on the drawing). Will be watching the rest of the build with bated breath. Congrats!
    7,000 gal. IG gunite, SWG, PebbleSheen interior finish-Aqua Blue, 8' vanishing edge raised 16-jet overspill spa, 2 12" waterfalls, tan shelf with bubbler.
    Pentair equipment: Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC-40, Intelliflo VF 3050, 2.5 hp Whisperflo spa pump, 1 hp Whisperflo water feature pump, Quad 100 DE filter, Master Temp 400 heater, Legend Platinum Cleaner (3/4 hp pump). Autofill, TF-100 Test Kit w/salt and borate strips.

Pisces Pool Build

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Lershac
    Man I bet your neighbors were glad when the jackhammerring was over.
    We felt awful, cookies and margs for everyone when this is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces
    I'm in LOVE!! Beautiful design!! You'll need all the umbrella shade you can get for our Texas sun. Please let us know the tile, coping, etc. materials you're using asap...I'm so curious (I do see some flagstone, etc. on the drawing). Will be watching the rest of the build with bated breath. Congrats!
    Thanks! We're getting close on the materials, it's more complicated than I expected

15. Back To Top    #15

That's an amazing setup, looking forward to pics of the finished project.
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Partyboat123
    Very few I have seen as like as yours design. That's simply wonderful. Hope you will not late showing us the full project.
    Yoda, is that you? :P
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

17. Back To Top    #17

Wow this is definitely going to be a great looking pool.
    25x25x16 L shaped concrete, 4' to 6', 21,000 gal, PLP4 - Pro Logic System Control & Aqua Logic Salt Chlorine Cell, Hayward TriStar 1 HP, 24" Sand Filter, SunHeater Solar Heating System, ColorLogic Light, Jandy deck jets.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by shakenbake

Tree-wise, I guess we're outside city limits - though the homeowners association "architectural committee", chaired by the neighbor directly behind us, has asked us to plant 2-3 big trees.
    Did you tell him that he can come over and clean up the mess those trees put into the pool then? Not to mention the trees roots can get into your piping over time...pop your decking...all kinds of stuff just because he lives behind you and missed a tree or two.
    Big trees are not cheap either. I would tell him where to go, but that is just me.
    Never been a fan of HOA's myself (does it show? hehe), but that is just silly to ask you to mess up what you just put in.
    25k gal vinyl AquaRite T-15

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by danbutter
    Quote Originally Posted by shakenbake

Did you tell him that he can come over and clean up the mess those trees put into the pool then? Not to mention the trees roots can get into your piping over time...pop your decking...all kinds of stuff just because he lives behind you and missed a tree or two.
    Big trees are not cheap either. I would tell him where to go, but that is just me.
    Never been a fan of HOA's myself (does it show? hehe), but that is just silly to ask you to mess up what you just put in.
    I don't have a problem with the concept of an HOA, just the people the jobs attract.

...I think we'll end up with one new tree for shade. Done.

20. Back To Top    #20

shakenbake - any updates?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast