Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY Putting green?

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY Putting green?

Has anyone here built them a putting / chipping green around their yard to play around with? If so what kind of materials did you use and how do you like it?
    27' round seaspray evolution, 21" pentair filter w/zeobest, 1.5hp pentair dynamo pump, Pool frog system, smartpool nitelighter 100w pool light.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DIY Putting green?

I have not built one but I have seen several shows on HGTV that showed how to make a backyard putting green. Here is a link to one of them.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Don't know anyone that did it DIY, but here is a few pics of my friends he had built this summer for some inspiration

and behind me is the soon to be completed pool and Tee Box

Tee Box w/Ball washer

24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

My brother and father both has greens installed this summer. My bro lives across the street so they get to use our pool and we get to use there green LOL. Both are 16*20 or so and run 10-12 on the stimp meter.
    24' AGP Sentinelle 54" , 1hp 2 speed power-flo matrix, New 250K to replace the 150k BTU heater, pool roover Jr. Aqua Trol SWG, Large deck, taylor k-2006, Majestic Stairs with colored LED, COLD BEER

5. Back To Top    #5

I like the ball washer, that is great... I looked into this a long time ago and recall that was it was expensive, like 10k or more when talking about real turf and good drainage.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

At my last house, about 30 years ago, we had the large front yard sod pulled up or killed (can't remember) and re-sodded with appropriate grass for croquet. The back yard was smaller and the dogs needed a fenced yard. Codes didn't allow for fencing front yards which was a shame as all the front yards were several times larger than all the back yards so I decided we were going to put it to some good use.

I don't remember what type sod they put down but it was not our standard warm climate yard grass Bermudas and couldn't take as much traffic as most lawn grasses. I don't remember it being as fine as a putting green but it may have been because it wasn't mowed as low and as frequently as putting greens require. The mowers had to use a reel mower to cut it properly without damaging it and it was a little too large to use a non powered push reel cutter. I have one of those now that I purchased for Y2K. :P It is really difficult to use as even small twigs get caught and immediately stop movement. Not good when one lives in the "wild" woods. But I have used it some in cooler weather. I don't think there were a lot of residential yard services that had reel mowers at the time; maybe not even now. I think the company that laid it maintained it for me. It was in full Texas sun all day and required a lot of fertilizer and water. It was certainly pretty to look at.

If I was doing something like that again I would seriously look into artificial grass as the maintanence would surely be much easier.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

7. Back To Top    #7

I was looking at doing Astroturf or just the cheap green outdoor carpet as it would just be something to play around on. Thanks for those pics, those look great, I wish I could build one that looks like that.
    27' round seaspray evolution, 21" pentair filter w/zeobest, 1.5hp pentair dynamo pump, Pool frog system, smartpool nitelighter 100w pool light.

8. Back To Top    #8

We built a small one just for playing around. We used the outdoor green carpet and boxed it in with landscaping timbers. My husband used some kind of plumbing joint for the holes, with a wide hole on one side and a smaller hole at the other end. We cut holes in the carpet and sunk the plumbing into the ground and then put rocks into the hole for the ball to land on. Used glue to attach the carpet edges to the hole. We put a few "obstacles" around, a large rock, a small lighthouse statue. Its not nearly as pretty as the pictures in the post above, but the kids enjoy messing around with it.
    WV Girl

Custom "L" shape IG gunite pool, 36K gal., main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, hayward heat pump, hayward 1.5hp pump with booster pump, ozonator, 4 cartridge filter.
    one dear hubby, two waterlogged kids, and lots of good times!