I hate our travertine pool deck

NanaS

Apr 7, 2024
Central Florida
This was in response to an old post, so TFP suggested I start a new thread. Here it is.

Our travertine deck is horrible. I'm trying to figure out what we can do instead of the travertine and whether the travertine has to come out before something else is put down.

It's the wrong material for this pool deck, in my opinion, because we have so much rain in Florida, and travertine is so porous. It gets moldy every time we turn around. We have it pressure-washed every 3 to 4 months, and yes they use bleach and still can't get all the green out of it. A corner of it is broken and crumbled (a tree service did that when we weren't at home) and that just keeps getting worse. Where the rain drips off the edge of roof, the travertine has worn away.

In 2012 when we bought this house, the pool deck was so light and clean. I think the pool was built in 1997-- so it did last a while. It's just become an embarrassment to me, however-- made worse by the fact that the travertine continues up the steps and is the flooring of the big raised lanai that goes across the back of our house. And it's on the front porch and steps as well. We have a problem with discoloration of the travertine on the porches, too. They don't get green and moldy like the pool deck (we have lots of shade at one end of the pool), but they've definitely discolored over time.

If anyone has suggestions on what we can replace the travertine with, I'm all ears.

I would have the travertine pressure washed (I find it hard to believe it wont come completely clean).

Then have the deck grouted. That will seal a lot of the small holes and imperfections in the travertine. It wont be perfect but it will be 95% better.

I like the idea of pressure washing and sealing, but I also really like my travertine.

If you do decide to go with another surface, I would make sure they completely pull up the travertine (maybe you can re-sell the travertine to recoup some cost). The travertine is likely on top of a compacted sand bed which would be too much give for any other material to just go on top of it IMO.