Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What to do with Acid & water mix after cleaning my cell

1. Back To Top    #1

What to do with Acid & water mix after cleaning my cell

Dump into the pool? an area of the yard I don't care about?

thanks
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains
    Pool's completed build 2/2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What to do with Acid & water mix after cleaning my cell

What exactly are you talking about? A cup of 1:10 diluted muriatic acid? Half a gallon of full-strength?

If the pool needs it, toss it in there. Got any scaling in the toilet? Maybe some concrete that could use a good scrubbing?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Maybe a mortar caked trowel could be left in it overnight?
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

4. Back To Top    #4

Normally, it goes to feed the pool. The pH will drop some. Without know how much you used, the current pH of the pool or your pool's size, I can't tell you exactly by how much.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

I read somewhere that you can "neutralize" it with baking soda, then pour it down the drain.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Beez
    I read somewhere that you can "neutralize" it with baking soda, then pour it down the drain.
    Oooooo, that'll be fun to watch...very bubbly!
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Beez
    Oooooo, that'll be fun to watch...very bubbly!
    I was wondering about that...is it even safe? Of course I've never tried it!
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes it's safe and similar to adding baking soda to vinegar -- go ahead and try it (whenever working with concentrated acid, however, always wear some eye protection just in case something splatters). Basically, the acid reacts with the baking soda to produce carbon dioxide so it bubbles a lot. You just keep adding baking soda until it no longer bubbles and you've got something relatively neutralized. An interesting side effect of this reaction is that you end up with more liquid (water) than when you started because baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is essentially a salt of carbon dioxide and water. Of course, with this combination you've just contributed to greenhouse gasses, but then again you do that every time you exhale!

You can also do the same thing with pH Up (Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda; sodium carbonate) and will take less to neutralize, but will still have that bubbling effect.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

fascinating. After reading threads on storing MA, I debated what to do my left over for the winter. It's cheap enough locally to just neutralize a gallon and not worry about storage over the winter. Of course, I dont know how much baking soda it would take to neutralize a gallon and the process of dilute/soda/repeat could be a pain.

Do you dump the neutralized in the pool or down the drain? Does it matter?
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsman
    fascinating. After reading threads on storing MA, I debated what to do my left over for the winter. It's cheap enough locally to just neutralize a gallon and not worry about storage over the winter. Of course, I dont know how much baking soda it would take to neutralize a gallon and the process of dilute/soda/repeat could be a pain.

Do you dump the neutralized in the pool or down the drain? Does it matter?
    It would take many pounds of baking soda to neutralize one gallon of Muriatic Acid -- roughly around 8 pounds plus a lot of carbon dioxide outgassing. For pH Up, it would be roughly 5 pounds. I would not dump the resulting mixture in the pool since the actual affect on the pH would be dependent on the amount of carbon dioxide outgassing and that's not very predictable. The result is basically salt water with very high Total Alkalinity and probably a somewhat high pH (around 9 or so). In 10,000 gallons it would probably increase TA by 7 ppm, salt by around 60 ppm and raise the pH a little (a few tenths), but again, this isn't very predictable and would only work this way if the acid and baking soda were mixed outside the pool since it assumes a lot of carbon dioxide outgassing (if added directly to the pool separately, the outgassing would be much slower and your pool water would be more acidic -- probably around 6.5 in pH).

Acid keeps really well so there's not really a need to get rid of it. Just store it away from metal. One could keep it outside -- just have it in a well-ventilated area.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Acid keeps really well so there's not really a need to get rid of it. Just store it away from metal. One could keep it outside -- just have it in a well-ventilated area.
    Make sure the container is U.V. stable, seen too many cases where containers have degraded under U.V.

12. Back To Top    #12

i wouldn't put it in a pool because you'll be putting all the calcium back and it will end up on the cell again

13. Back To Top    #13

The many times I've acid washed my pool, over 24 years, I used baking soda to neutralize the collecting pool (probably lower pH than from soaking something - from rinsing the plaster with a lot of water but still pretty acidic) in the deep end and then pump it to the woods. For an acid wash of my pool there are many, many, many, "acid pools", during the process, that have to be pumped out. I haven't seen any problems with the native plants. And, yes, it takes a lot of lbs of baking soda but certainly takes care of the problem. When I've soaked the spa cartridges in MA/water I usually throw it into the pool, but my pool needs almost daily MA additions especially with fountain and keeping the pH at or below 7.2.

When you add the baking soda it will foam up and out of container so best to do it on gravel or dirt area; not a surface you want to change colors. But I must confess, when I soak cartridges, and don't put it in the pool, I do it on my Trex deck and add the BS in small additions so it doesn't foam over, most of the time, and keep a hose going at the base of the bucket.

I use loads of white vinegar (more acid than most colored vinegars) and BS around the house for cleaning. It's great for clearing out a slow drain and trap. Put gobs of baking soda in the drain, add vinegar, and then flush with very hot, but not boiling, water.

Another use would be to put it in a spray bottle, if you can filter particles out, and spray on some weeds, grasses, etc. It burns the plant when the sun hits it in a couple of days. Or dump it on a whole area of pest/weed plants. You have to get it on the green part of plant. I use garden white vinegar, very acidic, 20%, for some spot weed/pest plant killing. I feel better about using that in areas where the dogs might munch on plants. It doesn't work so well for poison ivy. You have to resort to the heavy stuff for that and, so far, I've only been able to wipe it out for one season and then it grows right back the next spring.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

14. Back To Top    #14

Thank guys. it was 1 gallon of water with 2 quarts of acid. This is what the manual for my Aqua-Plus recommended. I cleaned the pad and the sidewalk with it and dumped the rest into a dirt/rock area in back of the house.
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains
    Pool's completed build 2/2010

15. Back To Top    #15

The proper mix is 1 part acid to 3 or 4 parts water.

If you have a proper storage container, you can reuse the mix several times.

Pouring it in the pool is the preferred and recommended way to dispose of it.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.