1963 pool resurection

Yes pictures along the way. Promise.
I'm not against white. It was my first instinct. Keep it old school . However, I have heard that it doesn't attract/ retain heat as well as even a grayish color. It's going to be filled with water (hopefully) and we would like for the pool to appear blue.
I've also been informed that the size of filter should be bigger than necessary if possible.
The pool, without any real knowledge as of yet is estimated to be somewhere around 20,000 gallons. Along with a spa edition for 6-8 people or so, any thoughts to sizing of equipment? I'm thinking cartridge filter with VsP pump and maybe 400k heater with swg. Not sure yet about cleaner or automation. This is the area where I'm not afraid to spend as I hope it will pay off in the long run.
Equipment green, pool blue.

Last edited:
I'm in the save the tile if you can camp. I absolutely love it. If it comes to the point you have to retile I would see if they can remove some of the dolphin ones and to reuse as accent tiles in another area on the patio, spa or somewhere as a tribute to the original pool.

For what it's worth, I did an upgrade to my equipment last year and went with all Pentair products. VS pump, EasyTouch automation with SWG. Also added a Pentair UltraTemp heat pump. I have to say, I'm very pleased with all of the equipment. The few questions I've had about the automation system were answered quickly and accurately by Pentair customer service. They have been great to deal with. I recently helped a good friend do a similar upgrade to his equipment and he installed a Pentair VF pump. I have to admit, I'm very impressed with his VF and wish I had one! Super easy to program and has some really nice features like automatically increasing RPM's to compensate for increased resistance through your filter as it becomes dirty. Keeps you at a consistent RPM. Necessary... not really. Cool... definately! Really nice set-up with the EasyTouch. If you purchase the ScreenLogic interface for iPhone, it's a snap to program or adjust as well. WAY more convenient and cost-effective than their dedicated remote units (as long as you like/use Apple products). Just my two cents!

Thank you boeks. That's the kinda feedback I've been hoping for. Are you running a spa too? I hope to add that as well.
Got the trees down and a clear pathway for excavation in the morning.
I guess I'll have to change my signature now.

I agree , it does look white and worn but we'll have to wait and see if it cleans up or not. Upon looking a little closer, I think the dolphins might actually be whales. Whatever, still kinda cool.
I'll try and get some new photos up tonight when I get near my computer.

I am not running a spa on my EasyTouch system at home, but I did help my friend set his up which does operate a pool and spa combo with one set of shared equipment (i.e. one pump). Seems to be working as designed with little to no issues. We actually converted him over from a Jandy Aqualink system and he is MUCH happier with the Pentair setup. He actually lives about 45 minutes away from me and we have utilized the ScreenLogic interface multiple times already this year to make small adjustments to his programing. It's pretty impressive that I can log on to my computer and work on his stuff from virtually anywhere. The interface is much, much easier to program the EasyTouch from than at the actual wall panel. In fact, I can set up his entire programming in less than 10 minutes for both the spa and pool programs. Pretty intuitive for the most part also.

Cool. Thanks. So what do you need to buy to make that iPhone, iPad stuff work with intellilofx?
I'm thinking this is a good way to go if affordable. Also in the mix a pentair cartridge filter for 20000 gallon pool plus 6-8 person spa of undetermined size paired with pentair swg and pentair 400k heater. Trying to figure total equipment cost here as we are getting closer every day.
Thanks again for the valuable information. I am new to having a pool with water instead of dirt.

Last edited:
Pentair sells a ScreenLogic Interface kit. You can make hooking it up simple by buying their bundled Interface kit + wireless connection kit for about $375 on-line. I think it's Pentair part # 522104. If you can run a com wire from your EasyTouch Panel to a router in your house, you can just buy the Interface kit, but it seems to sell for about the same price as the complete kit. Go figure.

The iPhone app will let you do basic control functions like turn the spa mode on and off, adjust the spa and pool temperature, manually turn on and off the pump, turn lights on and off, etc. The computer application lets you make more advanced programming adjustment such as setting pump run schedules, configuring the entire panel, adjusting the SWG settings, etc. iPhone option nice for on the pool deck... application nice for making changes to the overall system settings. I wish Pentair would upgrade the functionality of the iPhone app a bit more, but it's certainly still a useful tool.

I did find that purchasing my equipment on-line and installing it myself saved a HUGE amount of money. I have heard, however, that Pentair can get a bit particular about warrenty service on equipment if you install yourself, so you may want to check that out. Worst case, buy it yourself and pay a "qualified installer" to do the hook-ups if you can find one that would agree to that. I believe that Pentair will increase the warranty on their equipment from the standard one to three years if you buy three of their products from different groups at the same time (such as a pump, control panel and heater). Again, I think they have to be installed by a "qualified installer" to get the extension.

Best guess on equipment cost if you purchase on-line is probably in the $5700 to $6200 (w/o tax) range for VF pump, EasyTouch w/ SWG, heater, filter and interface kit. Dont' forget lights, ladder handles, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
any updated pics? :p this is one of the most interesting threads on this forum IMHO. i cant imagine how exciting this is. If I had an inground buried in my backyard and it was being uncovered... id be as giddy as a kid on Christmas.....

So happy for you to hear your pool guys are both giving you the green light on this! I cant wait to see this thing done!

Yes. ScreenLogic is an add-on to the base EasyTouch or IntelliTouch system. I really don't see any reason from what you've described you are planning on setting up to get anything other than an EasyTouch system for two bodies of water (i.e. pool & spa). It will do more than you'll ever need it to do! Turn on pool lights... yep. Run pump programs... yep. Control SWG... yep. Control your heater... check! Turn on and off your landscape lights... sure, if you'd like it to. Cook dinner... hey, everything has limitations! :)

Haha. Ok. I just started looking at lights and saw they were controlled by intellitouch.
Not sure what you really need to control what anymore. Too much stuff to look at. I thought I would just use a light switch until I read something about a pool light controller and intellitouch and whatever else.
It looks line you can get easy touch swg. Does that mean it comes with or just controls it?
Getting confused by what pieces you need to make it all work together.

It can be a bit overwhelming. The EasyTouch system can control everything in your setup without a doubt. It can also serve as your electrical sub-panel, housing all your breakers on the pool pad. It is available with the SWG included. Once you have figured out exactly what you want your system to do and how you would like it configured, you would then see what version of the EasyTouch system you need to order. My guess is with one pump, a SWG and heater, an EasyTouch 4 unit with SWG is what you'd need. I believe you have estimated this pool to be about 22,000 gallons? If that's the case, you'd probably be smart to order your system with an IC40 SWG (good to use on up to 40K gallon pools). It's generally recommended on this site to oversize your salt cell by a factor of 2x to 2.5x the gallonage of your pool so your cell lasts longer.

I wouldn't get too concerned with all this until you get the pool dug out and cleaned up. Once you make some final decisions on what you are going to do exacly design-wise, then you can get pretty specific on equipment and control needs. You're more than welcome to PM me if you have any specific questions on things. I'd be happy to give you some advise on at least what I think would work! This is a pretty cool project, BTW. Restorations projects of old stuff always interest me for some reason!

here are a couple of shots after removing trees.
gotcha boeks. just estimating total cost and getting a little carried away with research. youre right. lets see what comes up when the dirt is gone. my local pool supplies guy/builder less than enthusiastic about the project. down right negative but we are in it now!

This thread is the best. I was shocked, intrigued, convinced you would disappear after abandoning the project, and then I smiled when the steps were revealed. Please keep this.thread goin no no matter no!!!!

oh man! its killing me as well. One question I have is, obviously you must have a backhoe or something to dig that pool out, as by hand would be 40 years, but heavy equipment hitting the pool floor would do catastrophic damage to it, so you will have to take over by hand at some point. How do you know when to have the heavy equipment pulled out in favor of doing the last foot or so by hand if you dont know how deep it is?

I guess my question is, do you know how deep it is?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.