1963 pool resurection

Yes. There are some penetrations. I haven't dug out that spot yet but there are going to be holes In The shell for drainage. Where those pipes go through might have been the old return. Either way some patching will need to be done along with all new plumbing and electrical pipes. I'm more concerned with the bottom being broken out more than anything else.

I'm back. Had some family stuff to deal with last few months and am getting back on track for summer now.
Love to hear some feedback on this one.
Ill keep you posted as to progress.
So far I've only dug out a few spots to check for damage to shell. Nothing major so far...

Wow. What a nightmare trying to get a permit to bring this pool back to life. City of long beach wants an engineer to sign off structure before issuing a permit to remove dirt. Nobody wants to sign off structure without seeing it empty.
Any ideas?

Wow. What a nightmare trying to get a permit to bring this pool back to life. City of long beach wants an engineer to sign off structure before issuing a permit to remove dirt. Nobody wants to sign off structure without seeing it empty.
Any ideas?

only in CA would you have to have a permit to dig up dirt.... here in OK, we just grab a backhoe and go at it.... redneck style....:p

I donno... can you let the engineer look at part of the pool you unearthed to judge its integrity? sounds like the City of Long Beach is trying to keep your pool buried in red tape along with dirt, grass, and trees.

i hope you find away around it, I would love to see this pool raised from the dead!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
City is requiring a grading permit?

I would hire your engineer to talk with the City and come up with a plan. There are several pool engineering firms in so Cal that have strong reputations with the building inspectors, I would hire one of them to talk to the City for you.

The city building department has been less than helpful. I spoke with a pool engineering outfit in Tustin yesterday who suggested using the existing shell to pour a new shell into. Lame. I guess the problem on their end is signing off a 50 year old pool due to possible degradation or lack of rebar or improper structuring that wouldn't meet with today's stringent codes. Any names of possible engineers would be helpful. I really believe this pool is in fine shape. At least from what I have seen do far.

- - - Updated - - -

photo8_zps198fdd2b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Well pool guy #1 says it should be no problem. He thinks like I do that it should be a simple remodel and getting the permits should be no problem. He is also willing to do only the things I need him to and leave the rest to me. Now to figure out what that will actually entail.
Pool guy #2 is scheduled for tomorrow night. See if he has similar thoughts.

Thanks. Feeling pretty hopeful for it again.
Any equipment recommended ?
Thinking about going all Hayward with salt water.
Anything else anyone wished they would have installed when they had the chance?
Doing simple remodel with spa addition. No rocks or water features.
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.