What Chemicals Should I Buy?

Apr 26, 2010
I just opened my pool and took a water sample to Leslie's. Here is what my water shows:

Water pH - 7.6
TA - 100
Calcium Hardness - 300
CYA - 100
TDS - 200

I want to buy chemicals from Walmart. What should I buy? I have a 23,000 gallon in-ground pool with a vinyl liner. I just had a new liner installed last fall. I want to make sure I buy the right chemicals that won't harm my new pool liner. Any suggestions. This will be my second time to open the pool, but the first time I just added some chemicals not really knowing what I was doing. My pool looks green right now because of all the pollen.

Welcome to TFP!

The first thing to do is to get some chlorine into the pool. Standard household bleach is a good way to do that. For the moment you want to get your FC level up to about 10.

Your CYA level is very high. A reading of 100 might mean that your actual level is much higher. The most common CYA test reads anything above 100 as if it was 100. You need to get your CYA level down below 100, preferably well below 100. The simplest way to do that is to replace water.

Welcome to TFP!

It's difficult to maintain chemistry with a CYA that high. As Jason said, the way to get it down to to replace some water. What you might do is drain half of your water, fill the pool back up, and retest your CYA level. See where you are when that is completed.

You need a good test kit as this is the only way for you to accurately know what is going on in your water. The TF-100 is a goodie. See the link in my sig line for information on that.

Ignore TDS readings. They are of no value to you. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.