New liner & water - What do I do to close after filling?

bjmcgill09

Aug 21, 2023
Louisville, Ohio
I am new to having a pool this year, so I am still learning. We are having a new liner installed in our 10,000 gallon AG pool next week. I spoke with the water hauler that will deliver the fill water, and he said he is using local city water and the PH and TA seems to be pretty good in the water right now. Due to the length of our driveway he can't use a tanker truck to deliver the water and has to use a flatbed with a max delivery of 7000 gallons. He said with the 7000 that should take it to below the skimmer and then we can just winterize the pool. He didn't want to charge me more to bring 10,000 between 2 trips, just for me to drain the water below the skimmer and return for winterizing.
My question is what do I need to do to get the water levels correct for winterizing. In reading other posts on the forum, I am under the impression I will need to make sure the PH & TA are at good levels, add stabilizer, and chlorine. But I am not sure how to go about doing that if my water is not a skimmer level to mix the chemicals in. Do I need to just have the pool filled completely or is there a way to avoid paying extra money to fill the poll completely, just to drain it to skimmer level few weeks. Any advice and help is greatly appreciated.

Water chemistry would be your biggest concern. There is one problem however, being it doesn't sound like you will be connecting the pump or anything to move water which is important to get good water testing. If that's the case, you might look into at least using a sump pump combined with manual brushing to circulate water not only for somewhat reliable testing, but also to mix chemicals you might add before closing it up for winter. You'll need a minimum CYA of 30, although 40 may be better since some of it will degrade over the months. Then the FC and pH will probably be your biggest concerns.

But refer to the link below for more specific info that would apply.

That was my concern as well....getting the chemical balance correct while not having the pump and filter hooked up. I talked to a few people and they said it should be fine over the winter and to just mix it by hand, but I am very skeptical because I have had a lot of bad advice over the course of this pool season and it was a disaster.
I do have a sump pump that I could use to move around the water, but would it just be better to fill the pool completely and then get a skimmer plug so I don't have to drain the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.