Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Beach?

1. Back To Top    #1

Goldsboro, N.C.

Adding Beach?

I used the pool calculator and it tells me to add 960 oz of bleach. My question is, do i add all that at once or spread it over a few hours?

25,000 gal. I/G Vinyl Liner Pool; Pentair IC40 SWCG; 3/4 hp Hayward Pump with 244t Hayward Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Adding Beach?

Add it all at once. It sounds like you are shocking the pool. Especially when shocking, it is a good idea to get that very large dose of chlorine all at once so you will reach your target level. The organics in your pool will start to "consume" the chlorine the instant you put it in the pool, so if you spread it out, you will never reach your target.

Even if it was a normal dose, put the chlorine into the pool all at once to make sure you get to your desired target.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

But remember, even though you are adding it 'all at once', don't just !WHAM! dump it in the pool in one spot in 3 seconds! With your pump running, pour it slowly in front of a return or drizzle it around the perimeter of your pool until you have added the whole 960 oz.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4

Cupertino, CA

When adding one or more whole jugs at a time, several people have recommended a procedure like this: take the cap off the jug, lower the jug into the water near your return so it's basically supported by the water, then start your (slow) pour. Any spills or sloshes just go into the water, where you wanted it anyway, and the jug is reallly easy to control. I've used this technique a couple times and I really like it.
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

5. Back To Top    #5
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Let the bleach circulate for an hour or so and then test again to see if you reached your target, if not, recalculate and add more to reach the target. I know it seems like a lot but you'd be surprised how quickly the stuff gets consumed, especially when you are doing an spring opening and the water is cloudy/murky.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

6. Back To Top    #6
    Eastern Pennsylvania

Unless I have a murky green pool (that did happen, once) I never add large amounts of any chemicals all at once. Not bleach, not CYA, not acid. I split them into 2 doses. Add 1/2, run the pump and wait for an hour or so, test, recalculate based on the test. Then I add 3/4 of what the Pool Calc says.

Each system is unique. Pool Calc is right on for a static system and I couldn't live without it, but tweaks of its numbers are okay to do.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.