Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: help-want to switch from Bromine Pool to Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

help-want to switch from Bromine Pool to Chlorine

I've been using Bromine for the past 3 years 18 foot above ground pool, and would like to use chlorine because cost of bromine is ridiculous any help would be great, I've heard its not easily done

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: help

Welcome to TFP!

To switch to chlorine you need to get rid of the bromine. It takes many months at best, sometimes years, for bromine to break down, so the only way to convert to chlorine is to do a total water replacement. It is usually all right to drain an above ground pool, though you do need to be careful that nothing shifts or falls down while the pool is empty.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

When draining, keep a few inches of water so the liner stays put.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

thank you

5. Back To Top    #5

Jason-Will R/O remove Bromine? I have no experience with Bromine, and don't know that I have ever heard of anyone using it around here, but I gotta think it will come up one day!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by simicrintz
    Will R/O remove Bromine? !
    Google is your friend
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    Google is your friend
    Not so sure I always trust Google........

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    Google is your friend
    Not so sure I always trust Google........
    Not so sure I trust all these folks on everything either No one jhas a corner on all knowlwdge
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, RO will remove bromine. The main problem with that approach is that you need to get at least 99% of the bromine out, preferably more. RO is not going to be the best choice when you are going for really high removal percentages, especially with an above ground pool where draining the pool is a possibility.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Not so sure I trust all these folks on everything either No one has a corner on all knowledge

Maybe not, but I do trust Jason!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Yes, RO will remove bromine. The main problem with that approach is that you need to get at least 99% of the bromine out, preferably more. RO is not going to be the best choice when you are going for really high removal percentages, especially with an above ground pool where draining the pool is a possibility.
    The bromine itself isn't so much of a problem since there isn't very much so RO removing even 90% would be pretty good. The bigger problem is how much bromide there is in the pool (which is probably what you meant), which could be substantial, so that's where even 99% might not be enough -- if the bromide level were 300 ppm, for example, 99% would still leave 3 ppm bromide which would convert to 3 ppm bromine whenever chlorine was added. Even water replacement will have a tough time with removal unless the replacement is fairly complete (i.e. dilution has the same problem as RO). As Ben used to say, Once a Bromine Pool...Always a Bromine Pool!.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

12. Back To Top    #12

Re: help-want to switch from Bromine Pool to Chlorine

Thanks Richard. I have also heard that bromine requires a higher water temp (80+ degrees?) to really be effective; is that correct? Sounds like it might be more popular for hot tub use, and another reason why I have not seen it in use before.

13. Back To Top    #13

Bromine is less sensitive to temperature than chlorine. It is more of an issue that chlorine breaks down quickly at high temperatures than any problems with bromine at lower temperatures.

14. Back To Top    #14

I would say that the chlorine outgasses faster at higher temps, such as in a spa. I don't think it breaks down -- it's way too diluted and chlorine breakdown requires both temperature and high concentration (or, of course, UV from sunlight, or something to oxidize).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"